Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Am I evil?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
So, I have around 150 100watt LEDs left over from my days building lights for.....indoor gardening enthusiasts.

I know it would be illegal to position an array of 80 or so of these along the bottom edge of the rear window of my car wired to a momentary switch to deter tailgaters @ night. (connected to the 200V battery in the trunk. I drive a hybrid.)

But would it be wrong?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah you never know what could end up happening. I thought about adding in a paint sprayer to the rear of my vehicle before but was nervous about causing a crash where innocent people could get hurt. Caltrops was an idea too but a popping tire would be even worse than an involuntary reaction I would think.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
You could be held responsible if a tailgater crashed and/or hurt/killed someone in the process, both criminally and financially, so..... probably not a good idea.
Oh, I know it's illegal. Even criminal potentially. But given the proliferation of grossly overspec aftermarket HID, LED and LEP headlights, is it wrong?

To judge the morality of the situation, you'd have to know the reason behind why they have the lights that they have, and compare it to the reason why you hypothetically have the lights that you have.

I think it would be too strong of a rationalization to assume that everyone with aftermarket forward lighting only has them to intentionally blind people. Like a lot of things today, people want to play but don't want to pay. There are ways to do aftermarket lighting that are more correct than others, and those ways are often much much more expensive than the alternatives like LED bulbs and PnP kits.

Confuse-us say: "I have better things to do with these LED arrays, than to waste them on haters, fam'. Your lucky numbers are 8, 12, 48, 63, 90."

You could chrome the back end of your car or use some highly reflective window tint..... Isn't there some electrically stimulated film that becomes reflective ? Cover your cars back end in it and that way the bright light tailgater would be blinded by their own lights and when you switch it off, your car appears normal.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
But would it be wrong?
Yes. Anything that compromises road safety deliberately is wrong. These lights will be dangerously bright that it would be a hazard for anyone behind you. That level of contrast to the dark surroundings and glare will totally render a driver unable to see the road and ironically the only way of knowing if they are too close will be the lights getting too blindingly bright

Encap

Yes. Anything that compromises road safety deliberately is wrong. These lights will be dangerously bright that it would be a hazard for anyone behind you. That level of contrast to the dark surroundings and glare will totally render a driver unable to see the road and ironically the only way of knowing if they are too close will be the lights getting too blindingly bright
Exactly.
Agree 100%.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a 2010 Hummer pickup and I installed two 120 Watt led lights under my rear bumper with a dedicated illuminated switch on the dash. Now tailgaters are no longer a problem. I turn them on and like magic the PIA behind me backs off really fast. Im loving it. My wife says I'm evil 👹
Rich:)

So you momentarily used your " trailer loading lights " to signal the car behind you that his/her brights were accidentally left on..... while I appreciate your attempts to be a conscientious motorist looking out for the comfort and safety of others, I would keep that kind of signaling very short in duration, especially now that you have mentioned it online because everything we say and do online, on a cell phone including videos and texts and also everything we buy with other than cash, is saved in our forever files so it can be shifted through by AI looking for key words and phrases. The Patriot act means no warrants are ever needed and the alphabet agencies have the full cooperation of all their private partners such as pay-pal and the other consumer financial instruments.

BTW, The infrastructure law requiring all new cars by 2026 to have driver monitoring software that can shut down your can has finally garnered public attention, I saw them talking about it on the news yesterday, I'm glad as I have been warning people for months, so maybe now we can push our lawmakers to change this, because we all know how government will abuse it, next covid like event all our newer cars simply won't go and once we all have electric cars, which will be required, we will have to argue with our cars computer AI about weather our trip is necessary or not........ to save the planet from BS climate hype our cars will try to limit unnecessary trips and/or do whatever government bidding as instructed..... I can just hear someone's car telling them " Remember to pay your child support by Tuesday or you will locked out until it's paid. "

So, I have around 150 100watt LEDs left over from my days building lights for.....indoor gardening enthusiasts.

I know it would be illegal to position an array of 80 or so of these along the bottom edge of the rear window of my car wired to a momentary switch to deter tailgaters @ night. (connected to the 200V battery in the trunk. I drive a hybrid.)

But would it be wrong?
If it's illegal I suppose it is wrong. You would be setting yourself up to be prosecuted. I just wouldn't.

Hi,
I have no problem using my rear led lights. I live in a rural area no street lights 45/50 mph limits . these people drive 60/70 mph they are flying around these roads that have sharp curves . And they drive way to close for comfort . So I flick on my lights to let them know to back off or pass me. And thats that ...

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
People are so impatient on the road. Just to avoid potential accidents I let them have their way. Not worth getting into a crash because of them. But I do like the idea of flashing them with bright lights but I also wouldn't want to be responsible if something huge happens because of it. So I guess I'm on the fence on this one.

Just don't flash an undercover/unmarked cop.......Don't get me wrong, I think the bright light tailgaters deserve it, but I also know who will get into trouble if there's an issue and what the law actually is if a cop want's to jam you up.

So you momentarily used your " trailer loading lights " to signal the car behind you that his/her brights were accidentally left on..... while I appreciate your attempts to be a conscientious motorist looking out for the comfort and safety of others, I would keep that kind of signaling very short in duration, especially now that you have mentioned it online because everything we say and do online, on a cell phone including videos and texts and also everything we buy with other than cash, is saved in our forever files so it can be shifted through by AI looking for key words and phrases. The Patriot act means no warrants are ever needed and the alphabet agencies have the full cooperation of all their private partners such as pay-pal and the other consumer financial instruments.

BTW, The infrastructure law requiring all new cars by 2026 to have driver monitoring software that can shut down your can has finally garnered public attention, I saw them talking about it on the news yesterday, I'm glad as I have been warning people for months, so maybe now we can push our lawmakers to change this, because we all know how government will abuse it, next covid like event all our newer cars simply won't go and once we all have electric cars, which will be required, we will have to argue with our cars computer AI about weather our trip is necessary or not........ to save the planet from BS climate hype our cars will try to limit unnecessary trips and/or do whatever government bidding as instructed..... I can just hear someone's car telling them " Remember to pay your child support by Tuesday or you will locked out until it's paid. "
Hi Red,
I use mine a quick on /off not left illuminating . Thats enough to get the message across with no harm done.

Yeah a quick tap on the brakes without braking usually gets tailgaters
off my tail. That is very rare since I'm probably driving near the max
speed limit and sightly quicker than others.:whistle:

Jerry