Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

All owners of a laser-man red pointer look here

Re: All owners of a laser-man red pointer look her

My glass aixizs have a metal lens carrier that's way longer and have a 2 element AR glass lens set. They don't have the small plastic aperture on the back. Pics when I get home.

What I was referring to to was the aperture on the back of the plastic lens and if your comparison was between the plastic lens with the small aperture and the glass lens with no aperture. So far, I've only compared the plastic lens with an enlarged aperture to the glass lens. The net gain was only about 5% for me.

I don't know of any way to use the focusing ring with the glass lens. There's no way to attach it unless you glue it on.

Kenom

see and the biggest thing here is there are two different glass lenses. there's the one's you get from aixiz seperately at $4.50 a pop or there's another that I've no clue where they come from. I'll show the difference in picture.

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

knimrod said:
What I was referring to to was the aperture on the back of the plastic lens and if your comparison was between the plastic lens with the small aperture and the glass lens with no aperture.  So far, I've only compared the plastic lens with an enlarged aperture to the glass lens.  The net gain was only about 5% for me.

I don't know of any way to use the focusing ring with the glass lens.  There's no way to attach it unless you glue it on.

There are two version of Aixiz Glass Lens, half-threaded and full-threaded. The full-threaded version looks just like the Plastic Lens except 2mm longer, you can screw in the focusing ring just like the Plastic Lens.

ah i see.

well all i can say is the mw gain is just great

chimo

Thanks andy, I just ordered 5. :)

i just recieved my laser-man 130mw focusable red yesterday.
i won it on andys auction on ebay a few days ago, he posted it on weds, i recieved it thursday- superfast delivery or what ;D
packaging was decent, the unit was rolled under a few layers of bubblewrap.
first impressions were like wow, this is MUCH better than the pulsar!
i havent really spent much time on this laser yet as i have been busy with work etc, but from what i have seen, the focus adjustment is absolutely awesome! very nice and simple to use.
i have popped balloons from 6.5-7 meters, almost instantly. shame thats the longest span in my house, this could probably do lot more.
i tried to light a sharpied match at the same distance, but i dont have 650nm goggles and my eyes started hurting pretty quick. i didnt get the match to light, but it sure smoked it. i need to get some goggles before i can unleash the real power/capabilities of this beast  :D
honestly for 55 quid this is a real bargain and im very happy with it!
cant wait to check it out proplerly in next few days.
heres a quick video of  a distant balloon pop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wkNl1maxA
i dare upload pics because i cant seem to resize them  :-?

Benm

TheMonk said:
There are two version of Aixiz Glass Lens, half-threaded and full-threaded. The full-threaded version looks just like the Plastic Lens except 2mm longer, you can screw in the focusing ring just like the Plastic Lens.

An update on that: I ordered 2 glass lenses for aixiz's ebay store, these are the ones with thread along the entire lenght and screw into the focussing ring easily.

Also, the lens holder is made of metal, not plastic like with the plastic lenses. At $3 a pop these things arent expensive, though i'm not sure about increased performance... i don't have a power meter and a few % is impossible to tell apart by eye. I did notice i could get a smaller spot at large distances (over a few meters) with the glass lens though, so its at least better in that respect!

there will be a gain with a glass lens over a plastic one, but like you say not noticable by eye

is this one of my lasers?

what batts are you using? dont use rechargables

Sawt al Hurriyah said:
Yeah, it is one of your adjustable focus ones, you sold it to me as a 220mW a few months back.I was using eneloops, what is the perfect battery for it? Could this explain why it was only doing 146mW? :D

eneloops????

are you using rechargables? the diode needs 3v for full power and rechargables are like 1.3v each.

Benm

there will be a gain with a glass lens over a plastic one, but like you say not noticable by eye

Exactly, perhaps it could barely be visible side by side, but otherwise insignificant as far as brightness goes. I am pleased with the better focus at a distance though.

Looking at it closer, the glass lens seems to be of a different design as well, it could even consist of 2 lenses internally (hard to see).

Sawt al Hurriyah said:
My laser, which was supposed to be a 220mW, does 138mW with the plastic, 146mW with glass, and 155mW with no lens! :D

So the lens is a permanent 5% increase in power, not bad for a $3 component :)

nope it does not.

might have not been connecting properly

also dont forget the duty cycle

chimo

Got my 5 today. Mine are metal/glass.

I get a similar improvement with the red (~12%).
I find no performance gain for the Blurays.