Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

All in one LPM Prototype

I am working on a design that has build in pwr management for Li-ion. And finally I finish laying out the board. It use an Atmega32U4, I was originally goin g to use a normal Atmega, but after cost analysis, using a more expensive ship is actually cheaper, because we don't have to use FTDI. This board has a 18bit resolution ADC and a zero-drift op-amp can use on both thermopile and TEC sensors. most important it has integrated power management ic for Li-ion battery can charge through USB or AC, and also a boost converter to produce 5V for any thing you want to use with this board, which includes LCDs, or other modules. Also the uC's pins are fully routed, so you can use all the IO's on the uC.

Here's a layout pic.
imgfull_zpsdbc6abed.png

I will have more update after I put it together and see how it does.

UPDATE!!
First Run!!

Laser Power Meter Test Run 1 - YouTube

Cheers
Wade

Last edited:

this looks promising, but what kind of detector will it take? the missing info is sure to be good info for everyone.

Queue Jerry : .....

It takes all kind of sensors. It has an adjustable gain on op-amp. I might just ask Trevor to write code for this thing if I couldn't figure it out by myself.

Cheers
Wade

ARG

Looking good!

Trevors Open LPM should run on this.

You planning to release this Open source? Sell the boards, entire LPM's?

Trevor

As ARGLaser said, you could easily come up with a build of OpenLPM that would run great on it. :D

All you'd need to do is transplant in the code (if any is needed) to run the power management system. :)

Can't wait to see more!

+1

Trevor

I suppose that would mean the Vref settings in Open LPM wouldn't have to change much.

Get us a pinout and some specs for the board and I'm sure we can come up with something. :evil:

What op-amp is used? How is gain adjusted? Is there an offset available? Etc.

Thanks for sharing!

native ADC doesn't have enough resolution so I use an external 18bit ADC. op-amp is a Zero-drift op-amp. Gain adjust by a pot. You can software coded the offset, no big deal.

Update!! Finally got time to put this sucker together. DFNs are Pain in the BUTT!! I think I got a short under the boost converter, but the rest things work including the battery management.

IMG_0241_zpsdc8f8cb3.jpg

IMG_0246_zps80d10415.jpg

IMG_0249_zpsd813cd80.jpg

IMG_0269_zps63734db7.jpg

Very interesting board.
Nice work!
Very curious about how well it can perform!!
+1 for more food for thought. :takeit::friend:

Also, really appreciate the use of an on board battery charger.
Smart move!! Me thinks this is going to be a very slick LPM!

Last edited:

ARG

Nice job man! Just wondering, where do you buy your 32U4's from?

Just a suggestion, you can use one line of the LCD for the power, and the second line for the peak or average power.