Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AixiZ module details

Gazoo

Well my two diodes burned out..lol. I pushed them too hard. The one I harvested from my BenQ drive is still going strong and is all mounted in a flashlight with a Meredith module and glass lens. But it doesn't burn well. So what I did was take the lens assembly from the smaller Aixiz module and put it in the Meredith module. Now I am back to burning :)

I am 100% positive we will be happy with the diodes from the GB. Using the Aixiz module we will have very nice burners, but I strongly suggest we maintain short duty cycles unless additional heat sinking is provided.

Gazoo

Well right after I posted this the leg on the diode came loose. At least it didn't burn out but of course the diode no longer works. I had a good month of use from the diode and had the leg not come loose it probably would have lasted much longer. This left me with no laser. I couldn't stand it.

I had read on CPF about open can diodes and I just so happen to have had a Lite-On DVD 20X burner that supposedly has one of these. I tore it apart last night and sure enough it has an open can diode. Harvesting the diode was difficult, but I managed to get it out in one piece and mounted in my Meredith module. I am still using the lens that came with the Aixiz module and it does fit perfectly in the Meredith module.

I have to run some more tests, but the diode is drawing 240ma. It will light a non sharpied match 3 feet away. I read on CPF about another user being able to get 400mw of power out of this type of diode. He was using TEC. I plan on keeping mine where it is so I can count on it lasting awhile.

Daedal said:
I know for a fact that the chrome plated module is in fact available with a glass collimating lens, I am unsure about the brass module and have personally not seen them with glass collimating lenses.
Can you give me a link or part number for the chrome module that contains the glass collimating lens? I have heard people complaining about the plastic lens not working very well. Do all of the 12x30mm cases come with a glass lens?

Daedal

Not all come with glass lenses, and there is no page for them as far as I know. You would have to request them personally from them in order to get them. :)

GL;
DDL

Daedal said:
Not all come with glass lenses, and there is no page for them as far as I know. You would have to request them personally from them in order to get them. :)

GL;
DDL
Well, they got the backorder situation straightened out on their 5mW 650nm units, so I ordered one today. I asked for the glass lens version in the PayPal instructions field, and offered to pay more for it if necessary. We'll see what happens.

S

SenKat

The glass lenses really are not that good :(

The plastic lenses that come with teh Aixiz modules are AR coated on both sides to prevent the red from coming back int too much - the glass...well, I dunno what to say, other than it appears to have three leses in it, and you will lose power each time it goes through a lense - and they do not focus all that well, I am not certain what hte focal length is on them, but it is not as good as the plastic ones - so my advice is to order only plastic lenses from here on out for hte Aixiz modules - unless someone comes up with a custom module to use with the glass lense !

G !

yuip

Really? I love my glass lensed modules I got from you. I haven't got a chance to do any divergence tests, but I imagine that it is a good bit better. The acrylic lensed modules I have have terrible divergence. :(

Do you have any tips for widening the input window on the acrylic lens assembly? I tried to widen one with an X-Acto knife, and the dot came out all cruddy when blown up. :(

Thanks!

SenKat said:
The glass lenses really are not that good :(

The plastic lenses that come with teh Aixiz modules are AR coated on both sides to prevent the red from coming back int too much - the glass...well, I dunno what to say, other than it appears to have three leses in it, and you will lose power each time it goes through a lense - and they do not focus all that well, I am not certain what hte focal length is on them, but it is not as good as the plastic ones - so my advice is to order only plastic lenses from here on out for hte Aixiz modules - unless someone comes up with a custom module to use with the glass lense !

G !
Oh well. I don't know which one they will end up sending me, but I probably won't be able to tell the difference. My first "real" laser (an x105) is on its way, so my only basis for comparison right now is the red "cat toys".

Yuip --

The Aixiz plastic lens has a small round apperature to give a small round beam output.  Pretty but it does not provide full power.

Remove the lens assembly and use a 1/2" drill bit (in hand only) to remove a bunch of the plastic.  Do not allow the drill to touch the lens.  Then use a small x-acto knife to carve the remaining plastic away -- again, don't touch the lens.

I then use a can of that dry blow off duster stuff to remove any chips.  You will now have a good lens assembly.  Hint: don't blow with your breath. You will for sure get a glob of spit on the lens  :(

Mike

yuip

Mike,

Thanks for the tip, man. I'll try that later tonight and see how it turns out. Hopefully I can save that lens assembly again. :)

chimo

My DX modules seem to have the same circular aperture window. I hadn't thought about the output loss - thanks for the heads up!

Paul

Hemlock Mike said:
Yuip --

The Aixiz plastic lens has a small round apperature to give a small round beam output.  Pretty but it does not provide full power.

Remove the lens assembly and use a 1/2" drill bit (in hand only) to remove a bunch of the plastic.  Do not allow the drill to touch the lens.  Then use a small x-acto knife to carve the remaining plastic away -- again, don't touch the lens.

I then use a can of that dry blow off duster stuff to remove any chips.  You will now have a good lens assembly.  Hint: don't blow with your breath. You will for sure get a glob of spit on the lens  :(

Mike

S

SenKat

yuip said:
Really? I love my glass lensed modules I got from you. I haven't got a chance to do any divergence tests, but I imagine that it is a good bit better. The acrylic lensed modules I have have terrible divergence. :(

Do you have any tips for widening the input window on the acrylic lens assembly? I tried to widen one with an X-Acto knife, and the dot came out all cruddy when blown up. :(

Thanks!

Well, like with anything, some folks may like it where others do not - I do not like them, and they gather dust here in the workshop :-( It was a good experiment, although Aixiz took WAY too long to deliver on them !

G !

What about the driver electronics? (apc, acc? adjustable with pot?, drive other diodes?, etc)

yuip

SenKat said:
[quote author=yuip link=1183489085/30#38 date=1187904647]Really? I love my glass lensed modules I got from you. I haven't got a chance to do any divergence tests, but I imagine that it is a good bit better. The acrylic lensed modules I have have terrible divergence. :(

Thanks!

Well, like with anything, some folks may like it where others do not - I do not like them, and they gather dust here in the workshop :-(  It was a good experiment, although Aixiz took WAY too long to deliver on them !

G ![/quote]

That's pretty unfortunate. I know you went through some hell getting AixiZ to deliver them. I'm happy with mine, thanks again! :)

Oh, if anyone cares, Mike's suggestion of using a 1/2 inch drill bit to make the input window wider works like a charm. You have to be very careful though, because the lens is pretty close to the backside of the plastic. I had to angle the drill bit so that it wouldn't scratch the lens. Actually, I did scratch the lens up beyond use, but it was pretty much scrap anyway.

Hey guys, this is my first post and since I'm trying to learn about the crazy world of lasers, you'll be hearing a lot from me (mostly dumb questions I'm sure.)

Anyhow, I ordered a two of the 12X30mm cases from Aixiz a couple of days ago before seeing this post. Now I'm interested in buying some of the smaller cases, but though they show a picture of the 6X10mm cases at the top of the page, I can't find the listing to order it. Does anybody know how to order them? Should I call or email Aixiz or what? Thanks!

Gazoo