Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ain't karma a b*tch

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Karma can be a B!tch alright, besides his crash, he still faces charges and prison time! Definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. ;)

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, the guy deliberately targeted a helo'. Arrest him and prosecute him. No argument with that.

My BS detector goes off though at the mention, towards the end of the article, of pilots that have suffered permanent disability from a laser strike. This is news to me and I'd like some follow up on that.

A lot of pilots claim that, either that, or the news writers add that in twisting reality. The divergence of these small pointers is too great to do that, I think.

Encap

How stupid can anyone be/get----lasering a Police helicopter 3 rimes then trying to outrun it with a car and crashing it---maybe he shined the laser at himself while driving :crackup:

Possible 5 years in jail if he pleads not guilty and a few years if he pleads gulity will give him time to think it over

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Alaskan, I absolutely agree that the lasers we typically use couldn't cause permanent eye damage at the range these laser strikes are reported at. The statement about pilots suffering permanent disabilities comes not from the reporter but is a direct quote from the prosecutor in this case.

Quote from the article: "I don’t know of crashes, but I do know of pilots that have suffered permanent disabilities from laser strikes," Escobar told Ars in 2016.

I'm not saying the prosecutor shouldn't do their job, just that they shouldn't lie about the 'damage' done by laser strikes. That is the kind of talk that gets things banned.......

Last edited:
Now we have a guy posting he has eye damage in another thread, we keep getting those reports on a regular basis, they milk members dry with concern and the folk who posts those stories just keep milking the subject on, and on, instead of going to the damn doctor. Personally, I don't believe his story because of several factors, if you just think about it. I'd lock that thread now, he knows what he needed to know already. PM the darn guy instead of feeding a potential troller.

I agree about the so called permanent damage done to pilots. To my knowledge, none have occurred so far and it is likely the prosecutor is embellishing on the facts in this case and others. People are stupid....especially young ones, and these kinds of incidents will probably continue if not escalate. But, it is no reason to make these out to be worse than they are. It can only inflame the justice system and legislators to pass prohibitory laws.

Honestly hope he gets the maximum sentence. I hate the prison system but a high profile public example needs to be made.
I don't buy into the "permanent damage" from that range crap the media spews but the distraction and flash-blindness is a definite hazard and does not need to be taken lightly in any case.

One can either choose to set the example or to be the example. This man made his choice.

My cousin, now deceased, told me he was shining a laser pointer at a street light to turn it off and hit a helicopter in the far distance. He was arrested, this was years ago. He had to do parole from it. Gotta be careful when ever shining a pointer into the sky. Whether the street light story was true or not, I have no idea. One thing which has never occurred to me is to point a laser at an aircraft.