Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Age Verification on LPF?

Face it some kids here are smarter than us over 21 guys when it comes to electronics.

I agree completely, but that does not mean that there is not 10Xs that amount that dont. There are 1000s of lurkers here everyday. The one that stick around, and get into the hobby are fine. But I've said it many times, you dont know who a person is with <10 posts under their belt. Yet no one cares who they are selling their lasers to. Its wrong, and yes we should have a system to weed these people out.

Guys dont get defensive. Obviously you guys are an exception to the rule, but you cant just hand out lasers to kids without knowing their stance. And most of Joe Public are morons.

But I've said it many times, you dont know who a person is with <10 posts under their belt.

That was the exact intent behind this thread. With my post count, no one knows anything about me. Obviously someone who posted quite a bit and is known to be safety focused shouldn't be denied. This was more for verifying unknown people who only register when they want to buy something (myself included).

Even with all this hot air, I have no doubt someone will sell you a laser. Money talks. Why should it be any different here?

I agree completely, i believe that an age check should be appropriate and if someone under 18 wants one that bad I think it should be the parent purchasing it and giving them the responsibility as they see it fit.

Hathred, that is a very good point. I've been worried about the same thing, let alone their maturity. Someone shone my green laser into my eyes which is why I never let anyone touch them. This destroyed my vision of red for the rest of my life. Seriously.

In terms of starting an account on forums you can always lie. Some sites use credit cards which is insecure/stupid and people can always use their parents cards.

There should definitely be some sort of security to prevent kids from getting on here. If kids do, we're more likely to have to deal with the media and possibly have lasers banned in Canada. Come on people, ideas!!!

I have devised a quiz that should rival the accuracy and validity of these online "tests" while still remaining simple.

1) Stand up

2) Find your a$$ with your left hand

3) Find your a$$ with your right hand

Were you able to find your a$$ with both hands?

Congratulations!

Peace,
dave
Damn....
Well... no 445nm Laser Diode for me....:cryyy:
I fould my willie and stopped looking for my A$$....:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry

Well, I really don't know what to say about Age Verification.
I agree with some arguments, but I also agree with Grix.
I'm 16 and I feel I'm can handle high powered lasers because of all I learned here. I think there are also other people like me.
On the other hand, I think how I was when I was younger. All I cared was about burning. I had a credit card and nothing would stop me. Luckily I've always been myself and more mature than the other guys.
Now, I have older friends that have 100mW+ lasers and have no IDEA of how it works. Asking for protection is, then, worthless. I've done my part, convincing my friends to buy at least the $8 ones (since they all have greenies)
That's a very complex question.

Now, I won't comment on what Tech_Junkie said. He's also right.

Last edited:
I fould my willie and stopped looking for my A$$....:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry

I haven't seen my willie in years. :cryyy: But my GF tells me how its holding up from time to time. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

It's different here because if someone underage buys a laser from someone here and there's proof on here, the seller can be sued and the media will get on this laser business at the blink of an eye. We can't risk anything. Canada will ban lasers soon, and there aren't enough countries where they're legal anymore.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:....
You crack me up... ROFLMAO...:crackup:

Jerry

Please. She is getting so fat, I have to hold my roll back, and hers at the same time to hit the target. :undecided:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Sorry, back on topic.

Things

Age verification is pointless IMO, there will always be ways to get around it, plus it's not just kids that are irresponsible .... How old were the people shining lasers at planes?

Some people have over protective parents anyway, when they see just how bright 1W of laser is, and what it can do, they might react and take it away etc.

Like other people have said before, the best way is to try educate them, although this is sometimes impossible ..

Not really any way to do anything about it online.

Simplest option would be not to sell to members under 100 posts. Most times I can figure out a person in under 10.

Will it happen? Hell no, but its the most responsible thing to do.

Edit: I sold one laser here, and I talked to the kids mother personally.

Edit2: Actually he was 18, but still a kid to me. I checked with his mom to see if he was fibbing, and understood the dangers of lasers.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of all underage people being banned or filtered per se, it's a matter of maturity. Some people are 16 and pretty mature for their age while some people are old and act like kids. The best bet may be to just watch who you sell/trade something to.

If an underage person gets hurt and authorities have your name, you could be liable and parents can sue you. As well, if you invite the underaged person to your property and they get hurt is another way to sue you. There are factors to consider, and there doesn't seem to be a way to filter people properly without banning all underage people. It might be safer but as long as lasers don't get banned and no one gets hurt I'm sure there are ways around this whole "feud". :)

Igor hands out disclaimers that need to be signed before sending the laser.

We're not going to ban anyone. I dont know where you got that from.

Age verification is pointless IMO, there will always be ways to get around it, plus it's not just kids that are irresponsible .... How old were the people shining lasers at planes?

Some people have over protective parents anyway, when they see just how bright 1W of laser is, and what it can do, they might react and take it away etc.

Like other people have said before, the best way is to try educate them, although this is sometimes impossible ..

Not really any way to do anything about it online.

I see it like the minimum age to be even allowed to try and
get a Drivers license...
It is designed not to stop the majority of responsible kids
that would make good drivers under that [XX] age... but to
eliminate the small percentage of potentially irresponsible
kids that would make accident producing drivers...
And for that.... ALL the kids under a certain age must suffer
(wait for a certain age) because of the potential of the Morons..
That's life...... (all for the good of the hive)

Jerry

Last edited: