Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Age Verification on LPF?

Hey All,

With the new 445nm diodes coming available, there has been a lot of talk about safety and who should have access to them. A lot of us "lurkers" have surfaced to try and get in on the action, to the apparent apprehension of some members. I was thinking it may be productive to have a discussion on how we can easily (or uniformly) verify someone age, and quell some of the moral quandaries. I would personally be willing to put forth some effort of providing ID or some such to ease some nerves.

I want to keep lasers out of the media as much as possible, and definitely don't want kids getting access to high powered lasers. Any ideas? Or should it continue to be left up to the seller of the diodes?

If you did that on LPF... about 70% of the members would
not qualify... IMO..:whistle:

Jerry

Last edited:
well a credit card could be used there is a math equation to make sure they are real.
but that could be their parents.
I think were going to have to go for a pic with a handwritten message and a pair of laser safety goggles.
This way we know you are protected. a 12yr can be safer with a laser than a 18yr as long as he has safety glasses, for himself at least but we can only do so much.

If someone has the wrong laser safety glasses and not know it, they might have this false sense of security and end up blind.

How about a small quiz before shipping? Something that inquires about backscattering, MPE, blue-light hazards, and such. The user is acknowledging the dangers of such laser, and might be a nice deterrent.

Or how about a picture with the person holding their ID and a handwritten message saying that they acknowledge the risks of using the laser?

You guys blow my mind. Now everyone is worried about high powered lasers, and safety. What about the 6X 8X 10X 12X Blu-Ray lasers that are being sold by the piles? Hell, even a 100mW PHR can take your site faster than you can blink. How about every green laser that's above 50mW? They all can cause the same amount of damage, but no one was pulling IDs before. Its about time the forum got pro safety. I know, we were before, but not at this level. Lets face it, every kid with a $100 bill can buy a laser here. And that messed up. I'm glad people are starting to get more pro-active now. Its about time.

Grix

We should not do it by age, many very responsible members and other people are under 18, it would be pointless to deny them the laser of their dreams just because of a number.

You guys blow my mind. Now everyone is worried about high powered lasers, and safety. What about the 6X 8X 10X 12X Blu-Ray lasers that are being sold by the piles? Hell, even a 100mW PHR can take your site faster than you can blink. How about every green laser that's above 50mW? They all can cause the same amount of damage, but no one was pulling IDs before. Its about time the forum got pro safety. I know, we were before, but not at this level. Lets face it, every kid with a $100 bill can buy a laser here. And that messed up. I'm glad people are starting to get more pro-active now. Its about time.

Hands.gif

We should not do it by age, many very responsible members and other people are under 18, it would be pointless to deny them the laser of their dreams just because of a number.
True, there is some young kids very mature for their age., that are aware of the potential dangers.

I wont argue that fact. There are, however, liability issues selling something potentially dangerous to a minor. Anyway, a responsible 16 year old should have no problem asking their parents to buy the item for them.

There is a slew of items on EEkbay that are not for sale to minors.

There is a slew of over-18 year olds that should never touch a laser.

And a bunch of under 18 yr olds here that are very capable and safety savvy.

I am using the case-by-case method.

BTW the place where i got mine is now showing them as 'no longer available'

I talked to a lady there and told her why they have become a 'hot item'(her words) and she said ---

'You've got to be kidding!'

hak

I'm not putting down kids, but lets face facts. Out of 100 kids, you will get maybe 10 that is responsible. That's 1 out of 10. Sorry but those are not good enough odds to convince me that anyone should be selling high powered lasers to kids. Facts are kids like to play. That's why most kids dont own a BB gun. Lets be realistic here.

Cheech

I first read this and thought the same thing as kiyoukan reply above.
Pic of them with safety glasses (to prove that they are serious) and a written verification message.
If I were to do a GB this is what I would require.
Face it some kids here are smarter than us over 21 guys when it comes to electronics.

daguin

I have devised a quiz that should rival the accuracy and validity of these online "tests" while still remaining simple.

1) Stand up

2) Find your a$$ with your left hand

3) Find your a$$ with your right hand

Were you able to find your a$$ with both hands?

Congratulations!

The concept of "informed consent" will render any of these test moot after the first speech by a lawyer

Peace,
dave

Although I am new here I understand very well the damage that some lasers can do. I think in my opinion there are a lot of underage kids who are responsible but even more that are not so an age check would be appropriate in my opinion. I myself am only 19 but lasers have been something I have always been interested in. I recently ordered a 100mW green laser from Rayfoss and I already know that I wont even let some of my friends who are older than me touch it. Simply because its just a laser to them they don't understand the potential it has to really hurt eyes. That being said, its an even more danger to younger kids, I think adult supervision would be important in the case of someone younger, on the other hand I know that there are responsible teens, who shouldn't be denied having a laser that they are willing to spend the money on instead of buying something else that they will get sick of after a few weeks.