Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice needed on diode module for wood marking.

I have no experience with lasers but would like to add a laser to my large format cnc for engraving/marking wood. This would definitely be hobbyist level, I have no illusions on using it for production work. I would like to be able to engrave on lighter colored wood like maple. I would need a host that I could mount and a fine focus. I was considering trying to assemble a unit based on an M140 diode. My preference would be a kit or assembled module. Any advice is appreciated.

Mark

NKO29

If you powered a LPC-826 around 400mA, you could focus it very well with an Aixiz acrylic lens. M140 diodes dont focus very well, because 3 element lenses just arent as good as acrylic ones. The LPC method will be cheaper and probably better :)

I would go with an SO6J 405nm. Will be absorbed by the wood better.

Why better absorption when you can have double the power for the same price? :thinking:

I'm building a CNC (drawing - early stages yet) but I plan to use a 9mm 445 on it. Its the easiest way to follow imo. With a G1 it will have a bad beam - but we're aiming for burning here. :)

For prototyping and slow marking, a dvd burner diode will suffice. Don't forget high powered lasers on light colored wood can be dangerous to your eyes if you stare it ;)

NKO29

True, but a 9mm diode + driver + g* lens and module/heatsink will be over $120 at the very least.

It wont have the same beam quality either. Plis I did some burning tests and got better results on the 405. Thinner lines or cuts and faster cuts than 3W of 445. Plus the 445 would burn too much outside of where its cutting or engraving. Id say 405nm. But thats just my two cents. Kf you just want to blast through everything without clean lines then I guess 445 may be better.

$130 from DTR.
Who cares. It depends on the power the OP wants. I want a fast cnc, so I chose that ;)

9mm diode + g2 lens costs $130 + shipping from dtr. Without driver but thats not really an issue. I have a flexmod p3 lying around and I may have finally found a good use to it :wave:

@Speedy78
Thanks for that (+1 :beer:). The 405 are single mode iirc so yes, it will have a better beam/dot profile than a 445.
What lens you used by the way? I'm researching on what diode to use on my cnc... I may change my mind on the 9mm 445 :wave:

Last edited:
It was a G2 at 530mW I believe. Was able to get a very small dot with it. Not so much with the 445. Fast speed for light engraving. Medium for darker. And slow for cutting. May need multiple passes depending on what youre cutting and an air assist will benifit you greatly.

Yeah I'm worried with power... I guess I'll have to try it out. I never built a high powered violet (its not my fav wavelength...) but I'll think about it. When the money allows I'll get one :thanks: for the tip. :beer:

@On thread
It seems the laser type/power vary with different needs.

I'd lean more towards the finer lines than speed. So I should be looking at about 500mw+ on a 405nm diode for engraving?