Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ACS1500SE vs Micro Flexdive V5 Efficiency.

Good morning everyone,

I have a question regarding the efficiency of the ACS1500SE vs Micro Flexdive V5.

I recently build a very small single 10440 driven laser and I am ruining into an issue where the 10440 can't supply enough power to drive the diode at the set current for more than a few seconds before the power drops off. I am looking to fix this issue by lowering the set current a little bit but I though that maybe the flexdrive would be a bit more efficient than the ACS1500SE that I am using now. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,
Daniel

The two drivers are likely about the same. They have similar topologies. You would have better luck using a higher capacity battery. I would try the Efest. I have one that is 700 mAh.

Dear my friend,asc 1500se driver is very hot when you use 1 battery,i have a driver and set at 1.48A use with nugm03,it run 5s then SOS ,(maybe 3Hz),but when i run with 2 batteries , the driver doesn't hot, because in this case it active as a buck driver
i think flex driver is better in this case,acs1500 only good with under 1A boost

I should have specified, I am running it at 1A right now. I am not sure if it is going into thermal shutdown or if the voltage droop of the 10440 is too much for the driver to keep up with.

DTR

If it is say a blue or green diode with a typical forward around 5V the driver could be trying to draw as much as 2A from the cell. That is a really tall order for any 10440.

You want to find a cell with a very high discharge rate. IMR if you can find some. AW used to have some good ones. Avoid shopping for capacity as most cells with higher capacity(mAh) will have lower max continuous discharge rate. Plus if you look for the highest stated capacity you will end up with some crappy china cells with exaggerated capacity. Good battery sites will have the "C" rating for cells and maybe even some in house testing but if you just look around on ebay all you will usually find is sellers tripping over each other to exaggerate their capacity numbers more than the other guy and don't even bother with the charge and discharge specs. "C" rating is multiplied by the capacity to get the max discharge rate. So for example if the cell has a 2C rating and 350mAh capacity 2X350mA=700mA max continuous discharge.

I would start your search here.🍺
https://www.google.com/search?q=high+discharge+10440+site:www.candlepowerforums.com

I really only use the flexdrives for currents over 800mA for reds like the Mitsu 500, Sharp or Oclaro 700 638nm diodes as it can run the @ 1A off a small single cells without needed addition heatsinking.

If it is say a blue or green diode with a typical forward around 5V the driver could be trying to draw as much as 2A from the cell. That is a really tall order for any 10440.

You want to find a cell with a very high discharge rate. IMR if you can find some. AW used to have some good ones. Avoid shopping for capacity as most cells with higher capacity(mAh) will have lower max continuous discharge rate. Plus if you look for the highest stated capacity you will end up with some crappy china cells with exaggerated capacity. Good battery sites will have the "C" rating for cells and maybe even some in house testing but if you just look around on ebay all you will usually find is sellers tripping over each other to exaggerate their capacity numbers more than the other guy and don't even bother with the charge and discharge specs. "C" rating is multiplied by the capacity to get the max discharge rate. So for example if the cell has a 2C rating and 350mAh capacity 2X350mA=700mA max continuous discharge.

I would start your search here.🍺
https://www.google.com/search?q=high+discharge+10440+site:www.candlepowerforums.com

I really only use the flexdrives for currents over 800mA for reds like the Mitsu 500, Sharp or Oclaro 700 638nm diodes as it can run the @ 1A off a small single cells without needed addition heatsinking.

I am using efest IMR10440 cells. They are considered the best high drain 10440s from what I can tell. They should be good for 3A. I am drawing about 2.3A after the power has dropped. This is why I am asking about the most efficient boost driver, not the best cells. Yes this is a green, a 7475.

DTR

That will work. Ii aactuually have some of those. Use them in my small builds but did not know they could supply 3A. Nice.
Yea you won't get much difference between the two drivers in that scenario then.

That will work. Ii aactuually have some of those. Use them in my small builds but did not know they could supply 3A. Nice.
Yea you won't get much difference between the two drivers in that scenario then.
Thanks for the replies. I think the wire I used may be cause I bit of extra voltage drop too. I didn't have any 20ga wire so I had to use 24ga for the diode and driver hookups. I will be re soldering them this weekend, maybe it will help.

Have you ever thought that because the diode is too hot, the overheating diode may also lead to a decrease in capacity ,24 or 26AWG wires are pretty good for 2-3A, I think they are not a problem

Have you ever thought that because the diode is too hot, the overheating diode may also lead to a decrease in capacity ,24 or 26AWG wires are pretty good for 2-3A, I think they are not a problem
I don't think it is the diode. It doesn't get that warm and it dims just as quickly when it is cool.

Jordan, thanks for answering about the .500 and 1.5A x-Wossee drivers. They get really freakin hot and FAST at max I w/one cell. I put Cu cube on the chip and Cu wafer on bottom and the driver has far more run time now.
SGD🍻

Jordan, thanks for answering about the .500 and 1.5A x-Wossee drivers. They get really freakin hot and FAST at max I w/one cell. I put Cu cube on the chip and Cu wafer on bottom and the driver has far more run time now.
SGD🍻
What do these drivers do when they overheat?

Update! So I tried a flex drive and it works much better for this application. I was able to get 1.3A to the diode, sustained off a single 10440 cell. It is now set at 1A out and hasn't dipped like the ACS1500SE (could only sustain 800ma). It seems like the flex drive works better under these high power loads with a single 10440, or maybe I had a dud ACS1500SE. Either way, I am very happy with the current situation. Thanks for you help everyone.