Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AAA size 3.7 volt batteries in ebay pens seems great?

I recently got some AAA dummy and AAA 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries to put in some of my eBay pens.This was mainly to speed up some of the greens warm up time, as some would take 2 /3 minutes to achieve full brightness but when there the output was around 90 mW so very good for a eBay pen. I was surprised not at the speed these SLOW greens now warm up but at the output power which has jumped at least 15 % which is around the extra voltage boost of 20% .Has anyone used these batteries long term with no ill effects on the pens.I have yet to kill one and i do have a lot of them about 60 now ,so i don't want to let the extra power and almost instant warm up time on greens just be a lure to killing them .So if anyone has used these batteries instead of the usual AAA pair ,please give me your experience on laser life etc. Obviously the time between recharging is faster as the charge capacity of one battery is less but, its great having a pointer come to full power in a seconds rather than minutes and the extra power is tempting

Last edited:

ped

You really should use paragraphs.

I use 3.7v batts in most of my pointers with a spacer, I have done for a long time with no ill affects.

Sorry i use my phone for 95% of my posts, it does work but punctuation etc is rather awkward i try the best i can, but there are mistakes which i go back and fix up later after i have posted it as its easier that way.But good news on your reply, what a difference and the 4 or 5 duds i have that needed that extra Zap of voltage to get going and put out some real power by eBay pen terms have complied. I have already fixed a lot of typos etc in the thread starter already.

Last edited:
When you notice your laser dimming at an alarming rate it's because your blowing the laser. I once tried a 9v with a 3v laser. It got super bright then died extremely fast.

Note that charged li-ions have a max potential of 4.20V. That's 40% more voltage than what 2x AAA alkalines would provide. (There's voltage sag as well, however.)

Probably wouldn't blow diodes and modules instantly and rather would have increased output, but may cut the life span in the long run. :D

djQUAN

Runs a bit hotter than using alkalines but mine seem to hold up just fine. Check out the ebay pens link in my sig to see the difference (of output power and battery draw) at the higher than normal designed battery voltages.

There should be some sort of driver in these, shouldn't there...?

Oh yes most definitely a driver board, I'm impressed with the new batteries overall improvement to everything power, warm up time on greens to couple seconds some i had needed 2 minutes plus to reach full output power...ie at first turn on around 10 mW after 2 minutes around 75mw and 3 minutes about 90mw now i get 75 mW in a couple of seconds and around 90 in about 10 seconds pretty good for a 8 dollar eBay pen i got a really good batch of red,green and Violet that put out on average 110mw red,90mw green and just over 90 mW for violet , because of the good specs i bought a dozen of each from same batch from same supplier ,so plenty of spares...that said i have a few stunners 160mw in red 105 mW in green and 110 mW in violet and i have about 5 each of those top end ones...of course battery life is rather short with those

Last edited:
I've used 10440 + spacer in a star cap pen for a long time. Yes, quite a jump in brightness! Also noted, more prone to mode hopping, but I reckon that's to be expected.

I use a pretty hacky spacer, is a length of PC power cable with self-tapping screws screwed into the ends. Probably not the lowest resistance dummy cell one can make, but it works good 'nuff!

The screw threads contact the copper wire inside, and the screw heads are smaller diameter than the cable, so there is no sidewall shorting. Biggest problem is the heads, which may have edges that can wear down battery contact or contact board. Nothing a little smidge of solder sanded smooth can't fix!

I recently got some AAA dummy and AAA 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries to put in some of my eBay pens.This was mainly to speed up some of the greens warm up time, as some would take 2 /3 minutes to achieve full brightness but when there the output was around 90 mW so very good for a eBay pen.

Holding these pens in a warm hand prior to use works just as well as waiting for them to warm up through operating

If you want to see a really hacky spacer, clip some toothpicks to size, wrap then in aluminum foil, then wrap the sides in electrical tape. I did use this for a couple weeks until I had time to make a nicer one.

I like to make them with a neodymium magnet on the end so the back end of the laser is magnetic. Anyways I've been using 10440's + spacer in lieu in 2 AAA's for a while and haven't had any issues.

Holding these pens in a warm hand prior to use works just as well as waiting for them to warm up through operating
yes it does i sometimes put pen in pocket to warm it up but the lithium - ion battery is so so much faster and easier i press button i want maximum photons straight away ..not a request i want them in a couple of minutes

Do you know how to open the 2x AAA ebay laser pens?
I won a 5mw red for about 20p.
In the desription on ebay it says the laser has been set to 4.9mw to adhere to law restriction, but there is no such law against me fiddling with it... :) And it seems like its got more to give so i think pot modding is possible.

I just cant get into the thing. ive seen videos about opening 2xAA pens but not AAA.
On the 2AA pens the laser housing is protruding, but its not the same on the AAA.

Im just wondering speculatively... so pleaaase dont flame me for not starting a new thread. or some other mystical forum etiquette i am unaware of... im just trying to get along...

Zeebit

Do not hijack threads, okay? Use the darn google search bar at the bottom of the page.

Last edited: