Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A very important question before I go blind :)

pseudolobster said:
I just did the math...

A 100mW laser is capable of causing permanent eye damage in 0.000001 seconds. Half that for a 200mW.

[highlight]Any laser over 5mW is illegal to import into the USA, since the maximum permissible exposure for 5mW is 0.25 seconds, which is reasonably assumed to be longer than the blink reflex.[/highlight]

You should learn what you're dealing with before you go shining it around your school, since if you are arrested and made an example of it would put our hobby in jeopardy.

Anyways, enough with the heavy lecturing, just be safe, kid. It really irks me to hear someone wants to buy a high powered laser "to shine at things at my school"... This is how Australia got its laws changed to make ALL laser pointers as illegal as guns.

Unless it is approved by the FDA by having all 5 safe features (Power key, safety interlock key, shutter, 2-second delay, and power light.).

I'm really thinking about just getting a Dilda.
I hear u can pot mod them a lot too :) I also wouldn't have to worry about IR.

IR is a NON-ISSUE with green pointers. YES some comes out, but it doesn't really matter when you have 200mW of 532nm light blazing out the end. The GREEN IS WHAT IS DANGEROUS.... forget about the IR.

And if you want to 'bring it to school to mess around', you shouldn't be buying one at all IMO.

I already decided on getting the red dilda + 3.6volt batteries. I might pot mod it too later.

pot modding it is not worth it.
ESPECIALLY with a dilda. You're already getting a very considerable amount of power for very little money, and with the 3.6v batteries, you're getting even more.

Please consider buying a pair of safety goggles or ten for all your friends at school.

If you pot mod a dilda it wont do anything. using two 3v primaries isn't even enough to get the driver into current regulation so you're basically at the 'max'. use 3.6v batteries and you'll be able to pot mod it. Then it will be dead and you'll be upset....

Please for gods sake whatever you at school with it.

Don't let anyone use it and never even POINT it ANYWHERE on somone else body and in the 1-2 meter radius around them.

So please if you going to take it to school VERY VERY carefull!

AusLasersSuck said:
Please for gods sake whatever you at school with it.

Don't let anyone use it and never even POINT it ANYWHERE on somone else body and in the 1-2 meter radius around them.

So please if you going to take it to school VERY VERY carefull!

kk, I'll just go with a dilda and 3.6volt batteries from o-like. No pot mod
That's my final answer :)

Bringing a laser to school is a bad idea....

1. Everyone will know you have it.
2. Someone will probably try to steal it.
3. You, or the person you let try it, could hurt someone.
4. It can be taken away from you by the school.
5. You could have the authorities involved.
Then you defiantly would loose it and possibly get fines ect.

So basically ya it would be cool, but in real life its a stupid decision with many possible bad consequences. If you want to demonstrate it talk to the principal and have him hold it till you are in the class you want to demonstrate it in. Then pick it back up after school.

Tech_Junkie said:
Bringing a laser to school is a bad idea....

1. Everyone will know you have it.
2. Someone will probably try to steal it.
3. You, or the person you let try it, could hurt someone.
4. It can be taken away from you by the school.
5. You could have the authorities involved.
Then you defiantly would loose it and possibly get fines ect.

So basically ya it would be cool, but in real life its a stupid decision with many possible bad consequences. If you want to demonstrate it talk to the principal and have him hold it till you are in the class you want to demonstrate it in. Then pick it back up after school.

My teacher is real nice she lets me show the class sparkler foutains, smoke bombs and stuff havn't asked here about my viper 125mw to show the class the power of lasers and how fun they are when used properly.

Okay, first know this :

DO NOT LET ANYONE USE IT. They will act irresponsibly. And technically, you are probably to blame.

You wont really need over 50mw. Trust me, 50mW is a lot safer than 200mW, so yea.

Why don't you have a high powered one that you can use outside of school for fun, and a cheap red one for messing around. No risk, they're cheap, and you don't need worry if it gets confiscated / Broken.

BE CAREFUL

bombsight said:
Okay guys, so I've been looking for getting an awesome laser pointer for a while now. I was inspired when some kid brought a 30mw greenie to school. He shined it on various things and outside windows (Ofc we know safety precautions and we didn't get it on anyone). Anyways, now I want to get a 200mw greenie from Deal extreme  dealextreme /details.dx/sku.1997) . I would like a good combination of burning  potential so I can blow up those annoying balloons in school and strong beam etc.

Sounds like you want the laser just to be cooler than that "some kid". As soon as someone sees you popping balloons you're probably going to be told on by some other jealous kid and have it consficated then lasers will be  banned at you're school, if they're not already! Or worse all the other kids are gonna buy the "eye blinder 2000" and pretty soon people are shinning them at other kids and passing cars and planes ect.

Its retards like this that got laser pointers banned in our country. Keep the laser pointer at home before you hurt someone. The only people you're gonna impress at school are the resident geeks but you're probably waaay cooler than them anyways so who are you trying to impess? Im sure the girls will come running when they see your little laser!

Magel282 said:
[quote author=bombsight link=1235180204/0#0 date=1235180204]Okay guys, so I've been looking for getting an awesome laser pointer for a while now. I was inspired when some kid brought a 30mw greenie to school. He shined it on various things and outside windows (Ofc we know safety precautions and we didn't get it on anyone). Anyways, now I want to get a 200mw greenie from Deal extreme  dealextreme /details.dx/sku.1997) . I would like a good combination of burning  potential so I can blow up those annoying balloons in school and strong beam etc.

Sounds like you want the laser just to be cooler than that "some kid". As soon as someone sees you popping balloons you're probably going to be told on by some other jealous kid and have it consficated then lasers will be  banned at you're school, if they're not already! Or worse all the other kids are gonna buy the "eye blinder 2000" and pretty soon people are shinning them at other kids and passing cars and planes ect.

Its retards like this that got laser pointers banned in our country. Keep the laser pointer at home before you hurt someone. The only people you're gonna impress at school are the resident geeks but you're probably waaay cooler than them anyways so who are you trying to impess? Im sure the girls will come running when they see your little laser![/quote]
Well ofc, they'll run at me, I've got a dilda!

Wow a Dilda! Thats soooo cool! ;D ;D ;D Oh man you must be like the coolest kid at school now :) :) :). Im so jealous :-[. I bet every one wants to be your friend! Awww I soooo wish I was you!!! :'(

D

Deleted member 8382

Well, as auslasersuck said, beware of not getting your dilda into an "eye blinder". People really don't belive a danger is real until they get damaged, and usually after that they use to consider it higher than what it is.

Lasers inside your eyes = blind
Laser used with care (even in shcool, yes) = Ok

Razako

Don't bring it to school.  It's just asking for trouble.  I remember when I got in a bunch of trouble back in high school for bringing in a little 5mw red to mess around with.  They confiscated the laser and I got a nice lecture about how I was going to blind someone with the ever-so-dangerous 5mw red.  Schools totally lose it when it comes to anything that could even possibly be considered a weapon.

Buy a 5mw if you want to shine it around school and even then you might get in trouble if you get caught.

Also I found that whenever I took something expensive/cool to school one of two things would happen.
1-People would constantly try to steal it.
2-If that failed they would tell the teacher so I couldn't have it.