Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A technical doubt - ND-YAG laser pumped with halogen ?

HIMNL9

Hi, i just stumbled on this ebay auction:

Nd Yag Laser ~ CVI Model C92/C95 2 Watt 1064nm Class IV - eBay (item 320578545668 end time Sep-18-10 16:41:34 PDT)

First i thoughd it was a normal ND-YAG cavity, but looking at the pics, the lamp holders i mean, it seem that it have an halogen lamp, in place of the "standard" flash lamp ..... so i thoughd "WTF ??"

I've used a certain number of cavities with flash lamps, in the past, but never had an opportunity to place my claws :p on one that use a halogen lamp as pump ..... is this efficent, and what efficency it can have ? ..... if the seller say 2W output, and i can presume 2W CW, cause pulsed cavities are rated in Joules usually, what can be the lamp, 150 or 200W ? (considering that it does not have the "usual standard" emission spectrum for a ND-YAG rod, and may be less efficent) .....

If it's not my mistake, i mean if i have not misunderstood the pics, it's a bit unusual, as cavity .....

Eff was bad, but it works! Those old CVI lasers are on ebay all the time.
Guess its nice to have one, since you dont need a fancy driver, just power ^^

HIMNL9

Eff was bad, but it works! Those old CVI lasers are on ebay all the time.
Guess its nice to have one, since you dont need a fancy driver, just power ^^

LOL, say it to me ..... i still have a brand new big ER-YAG cavity that need a driver, and none apparently was able to say me any technical details (producer does not longer exist)

I got several laser-heads laying around unused...but I am about to change that. A friend is working on a driver. But I dont wanna see any schematics...should be hell lot of work!

Guess your head is water-cooled right? Air-cooled and parallel triggering wont be a problem.

HIMNL9

No, it's a water-cooled head that was hold as "spare part" for a medical machine, and never used ..... basically, is similar to all the other cavities, the main difference is that it uses an ER-YAG rod, instead a ND-YAG, and that it emits at 2940nm, instead that the usual 1064nm of the ND-YAG ..... better for skin ablation and aesthetical surgery.

i took a pair of pics of the head and inside, so you can see ..... much bigger than my old (and actually dead) SSY one ..... in the order, the whole cavity, the shutter and the rod ends seen through the oc (shutter opened) and HR mirrors (yes, they are transparents for visible light)

Attachments

• OPENED.jpg
    OPENED.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • SHUTTER.jpg
    SHUTTER.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 371
  • HR_OC.jpg
    HR_OC.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 361
Nice!
Hate external mirrors though. Aligning is a pain in the ass...boring work.
I will post a schematic of the powersupply as soon as possible.