Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A quite spirograph?

So ive built a few spiros in the past and the other day while playing with one that uses the motors from CD/DVD drives my girlfriend says to me this would be so much nicer if it didnt vibrate and make so much noise. I thought to myself whats vibrating? So I mixed up some epoxy and damn near coated anything that looked like it could be the culprit. But I still get a loud noise when the motors are either all on or even if just one is at a high speed. What could be causing the vibrations and noise?

Also a side note what size pots do you guys like to use in your sprios?

They're probably vibrating because the mirror(s) attached to your motor are making it unbalanced. It also affects car tires, and that's why you see those lead weights attached to them.

See if you can balance out the weight with something else, or use a lighter mirror to reduce the vibrational effects.

Yep the Badger hit it on the nose, you mirrors are off center and causing the vibration, you can reposition them or try adding a little weight but first you will need to determine on which side the weight needs to be applied.

if they are large maybe you can reduce there size ?

Good luck...

Another thing that may help is placing a ~1/4" sheet of
soft foam under the Spyrograph to help eliminate any
residual vibrations after you balance the rotating mirrors.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
thanks guys!

i tried a small piece of foam under the spiro and that helped it from vibrating on the table and moving which was nice. I know I made this one in a bit of a rush and had to use rather large square mirrors so that is probably the biggest reason for the vibrations then. Time to find some small mirrors....

yeah circle mirrors are key :beer: you can get shitty ones at a craft supply store or you can find the better front surface mirrors online

ive never used the front surface one but I'm thinking its about time because I hate the ghost reflection that the crappy ones give.