Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A possible way to use Lasers without Safety Goggles? (See the beam!)

rammo

Okay okay, I know what you're thinking, this guy is an IDIOT. You can't use lasers over 5mw without Safety Goggles without being permanently blinded. While that is correct, I may have a possible substitute that I'm surprised no one has talked about yet, that also will allow you to see the beam.
Now I am far from a genius, and I expect people to reply back with calling me a complete dumbass and I don't blame you because this idea could be completely dumb to the knowledgeable laser hobbyist (which I am not).

What if you had one of those cheap VR headsets that you could put your phone into, download a VR camera app, so you can look at yours surroundings and look around completely normally like you would do with your own eyes, but since your just staring into your phone screen through a VR headset, wouldn't that just be the same as watching a YouTube video?

If this is the case, doesn't that technically mean you could use lasers like this, you'd be able to see the beam just like on a YouTube video (of course with smoke being in the room depending on how bright it is) and not having to use Safety Goggles which block out the beam from your vision?

Let me know what you think, I don't know so I want to check with others to see if this is the case or not, I COULD be a complete idiot ranting on about nothing I'm very unsure so please let me know if this would work or not.

Thanks for reading and sorry if I wasted your time (if this ended up being a dumb idea)

Peace

Anthony P

I generally mind my own business in this group, but I have to say something. The VR goggles are a legitimate safety solution for viewing high power beams. As for Amak, suggesting unsafe practices in this community will likely get you banned.

rammo

Hey everyone

Thanks for the replies, yeah I'm not that stupid to believe Amak.. I'd rather keep my retinas in tact lol

Good hearing my idea actually works, not sure if anyone tried it or not so I could be completely unoriginal
Thanks again very much appreciated, happy knowing I can finally build high powered lasers and view the beam in person 😊

Peace

nmbusa

I use my 7w without glasses. Honestly this “blinding instantly from beam spot on the wall” is BS.. yes it’s bright, but absolutely will not blind anyone lol
whatever suits every1 just to be on the safe side wear some protection
1708328452185.png

Ricker

Is the VR for you to instantly look at the beam, versus looking at it after it's safely turned off, and watching the video you took with your phone?

Amak87

I generally mind my own business in this group, but I have to say something. The VR goggles are a legitimate safety solution for viewing high power beams. As for Amak, suggesting unsafe practices in this community will likely get you banned.
lol I’m just stating what I do, people really overestimate how light works.. just cuz I say something, doesn’t mean I’m responsible if someone decided to try it lol

But anyway, I know it doesn’t damage my eyes from experience, I’m not saying direct exposure, even tho I have taken a hit from mirror reflection, but I’m just taking about normal use, a spot on the wall will not damage your eyes, period. There’s just not enough light getting to your eyes, I’ve measured with PAR meters and there’s almost no added brightness getting back to your eye from the wall.. it’s funny hearing so many people just repeat the next guy.. monkey see monkey do I guess

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
lol I’m just stating what I do, people really overestimate how light works.. just cuz I say something, doesn’t mean I’m responsible if someone decided to try it lol

But anyway, I know it doesn’t damage my eyes from experience, I’m not saying direct exposure, even tho I have taken a hit from mirror reflection, but I’m just taking about normal use, a spot on the wall will not damage your eyes, period. There’s just not enough light getting to your eyes, I’ve measured with PAR meters and there’s almost no added brightness getting back to your eye from the wall.. it’s funny hearing so many people just repeat the next guy.. monkey see monkey do I guess
You would be responsible. Also this forum could be liable for any damages caused by anyone's suggestion for unsafe use should the person decide to sue. Please keep this in mind.

julianthedragon

Laser beams, visible only because of the light bouncing off of particles in the air, are often only subtly visible especially at wavelengths further from 555nm and powers closer to 5mw. Good chance the VR camera will not be low-light-capable enough to pick up the beam how your eyes would, and colors will be wrong no matter what. I'd go outside to a remote area — just don't point at any people/vehicles/animals/reflective signs — and point it somewhere far away and enjoy the beam that way. Maybe don't do this with a 1W+ laser (which honestly you shouldn't own if your only reason is to see the pretty beam), but with a 10-200mw I'd say it's miles better than pointing it around close quarters with white walls and reflective objects all around

Viruzzz

There are different kinds of safety equipment, something like a filter mask is something you wear because if you don't you will get harmed. Something like a hardhat is a thing you wear even though most of the time nothing is falling on you, but when something does it saves your noggin. Laser safety glasses are like the hat. If everything goes as planned you'll never get a beam entering your eye, but things may not go as expected, and you wouldn't want to lose your eyesight when they don't.

And when Bobby with a new hobby checks out this forum and sees that he doesn't need safety glasses hell think "sweet, bunch of money saved" but maybe bobby has a weird kind of wall paint that has a far more specular reflection pattern than normal and now bobby lost vision in one of his eyes. That's why you don't recommend not using safety equipment, and why you recommend getting the slightly more expensive safety glasses from well known brands and not something you find off of Amazon, because although I'm sure some of those actually work, there is no way to make sure someone inexperienced picks those, because all the information they will see is " just pick something from Amazon".

Can you be safe without glasses? Sure, but it's still a really stupid recommendation.

julianthedragon

Last edited:
Many of the photos I took were outside, at night, and were aimed at the trees across the street. As long as there is no possibility of specular reflections you have nothing to fear.