Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A New Way To Clean Laser Lens !

I use isopropanol too with a lens cleaning cloth. You can check to see if it's clean by placing the lens just into the end of the module of a lower powered laser i.e. completely defocused and projecting the beam onto a wall a few meters away. If it's still mucky you will see small defocused dots. With MM diodes you will also need to rotate the lens slowly whilst watching the output. This is due to the fast and slow axes only hitting part of the lens at one time.:beer:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good point grainde, the de-focused image on a wall or ceiling is really telling of anything on your lens, and using low power will help insure that you don't bake any remaining crud on to your lens.

GSS

New issue with me now. I was doing some burning word engraving on some popsicle sticks with a maby 700mw 405 G2 lens about 2 days ago and noticed this morning some "dust" halo around the dot. Yes I was marking pretty close with the apeture, 3" or 4" maby. Very light tight lipped blowing didn't seam to help.
I'm heading to CVS this morning and planning on just the purest 99% alcohol and best reading glass lens wipes and again pure cotton swab's.
Ton's of great info, but what the first way to initially apply the alcohol to begin with? Squirt it in? Dip the whole lens in it?

I gently use good cotton swabs to get the good Alcohol on
the lens..

Jerry

GSS

Thanx, as there's plenty of good products mentioned but i've missed the best initial application.
Now i'm planning on a good soaked Q tip and to let it air dry. Being it's CVS i'm guessing reading glass wipes are the only thing close they sell. Should I be weary of these if they are needed.
Hey guy's I get this is lens cleaning "101" but I like the one on one approach:)

Edit: Ok struck out. CVS didn't have any alcohol over 91% and neither did ACE hardware next door, though for the first time the worker at at ACE hardware understood what I was looking for and didn't give me that "look":can:
Just grabbed some Micro fiber Lens wipes and thinking what the "art wood burners" use do to keep dust out other than a good fan or vent system.
Probably not much of an issue using a 445 but using a 405 up close did seem to get it dirty after only a few words....

Last edited:
ehhe i never clean the lenses anymore just blow air i keep my lasers wrapped :)
last time i cleaned a lens was on a wicked laser in 2010/2011 i just got the laser after like 3/4months waite and i used water and soap lol and i messed up the laser in 1hour of having it so i never cleaned a lens again :twak:

Encap

Thanx, as there's plenty of good products mentioned but i've missed the best initial application.
Now i'm planning on a good soaked Q tip and to let it air dry. Being it's CVS i'm guessing reading glass wipes are the only thing close they sell. Should I be weary of these if they are needed.
Hey guy's I get this is lens cleaning "101" but I like the one on one approach:)

Edit: Ok struck out. CVS didn't have any alcohol over 91% and neither did ACE hardware next door, though for the first time the worker at at ACE hardware understood what I was looking for and didn't give me that "look":can:
Just grabbed some Micro fiber Lens wipes and thinking what the "art wood burners" use do to keep dust out other than a good fan or vent system.
Probably not much of an issue using a 445 but using a 405 up close did seem to get it dirty after only a few words....

Amazon has several different alcohols at high purity available for reasonable prices --- here is isporopyl 99% for $6.50/pint: https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Pint/dp/B01MG602HG/ref=sr_1_1/153-5813546-7603425?ie=UTF8&qid=1487702152&sr=8-1&keywords=alcohol
High purity Ethanol and Methanol are also available in small quantities on Amazon

Last edited:
Since I use the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol in the shop for
other uses... I go to the local Pharmacy that sells the
~90% alcohol and just ask the manager if he could order
a few bottles of 99% or purer alcohol for me.
The first contact with the manager... I left a deposit and
my phone number to show good faith.

Jerry

Last edited:
BowtieGuy said he bought the compact pointed type at a hobby store, he said they work well.

1128c9b8-72fd-4fed-b60e-7e4944f99508_zpso5ewpn7y.jpg

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Red, these work best for stubborn dirt, and also around the edges of the lens if it's being cleaned without being removed from the housing.
I think for a light dust removal, I would probably use the traditional swab first, then this if needed.

These also work well for cleaning threads, o-ring grooves, and as a makeshift touch up paintbrush! :yh:

I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby, but they can be found elsewhere. It looks like they're available in three sizes, extra small, small, and medihm..

Last edited:
Ah, ok.
I start with a puff of air from a turkey baster and a light dusting with a small paintbrush, but that's for dust, something like smoke residue will need a solvent and some gentle persuasion.

These are for cleaning keyboards and contain an alcohol solution in the handle that you squeeze into the soft head, I also use the zeiss micro cloths, it's still no guarantee if it's burnt on, and acrylic HA, I just throw those away and get another if the air puff and gentle paintbrush wont do it, it often will help the 532nm acrylics, but I don't use any solvent on those.

51002d1460640819-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0485.jpg

54838d1487725882-new-way-clean-laser-lens-sany0293.jpg

54839d1487725882-new-way-clean-laser-lens-sany0291.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0293.JPG
    SANY0293.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 185
  • SANY0291.JPG
    SANY0291.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

GSS

Amazon has several different alcohols at high purity available for reasonable prices --- here is isporopyl 99% for $6.50/pint: https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Pint/dp/B01MG602HG/ref=sr_1_1/153-5813546-7603425?ie=UTF8&qid=1487702152&sr=8-1&keywords=alcohol
High purity Ethanol and Methanol are also available in small quantities on Amazon
Cool, it's also advertised as a rubbing or typical first aid which makes me wonder if I can find it at another pharmacy franchise, if not i'm just going to order it. I also didn't get the most helpful staff at that moment which thanks @laserbee that's a good thought.
Going to ACE hardware as soon as I saw the bigger metal industrial can it didn't say "optic's" in my mind so I never really looked at what they had.
Hey I might have to ruin a lens or two before I learn from my mistakes but rather a lens than a diode window..

I don't think the smoke dust on my 405 has baked in yet or would it that much of an issue with a 405 compared to a MM 445?:eek:

Last edited:
Ah, ok.
I start with a puff of air from a turkey baster and a light dusting with a small paintbrush, but that's for dust, something like smoke residue will need a solvent and some gentle persuasion.

These are for cleaning keyboards and contain an alcohol solution in the handle that you squeeze into the soft head, I also use the zeiss micro cloths, it's still no guarantee if it's burnt on, and acrylic HA, I just throw those away and get another if the air puff and gentle paintbrush wont do it, it often will help the 532nm acrylics, but I don't use any solvent on those.

54838d1487725882-new-way-clean-laser-lens-sany0293.jpg

54839d1487725882-new-way-clean-laser-lens-sany0291.jpg
Stop teasing us with good ways to clean optical lenses...
What we need to know is where do you get those items
and how much do they cost...;)

Jerry

Last edited:
I don't know abouit everyone else, but the best way to clean laser lenses is with someting that has multiple uses...even sharpening knives by gluing them to glass. I am talking about wet dry sandpaper. For cleaning lenses it is best to use at least a 2000 grit. It is remarkablly effective in getting rid of that expensive multi-wavelength coating as well as other opital coatings. You can also use it to get rid of those pesky coatings on your eye-glasses such as AR, UV, and anti-fog for which you undoutably overpaid.

It is best to use wet. Put a few drops of distiled water on your lens and then use a light circular motion to rub away your troubles.

Please see notes and references below:

-
-
-
-
-
Taken from the non-existant Book of BS by Brandon Aire, available nowhere.
Note Bene New Laser People: This is a pre-April Fools posting. Do not pay any attention to the advice whatsoever lest your ruin your laser lenses and eyeglases. The management bears no responsibility for a failure to use common sense.

Last edited: