Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A New Way To Clean Laser Lens !

Just had a look at eBay for this clay in case I was
wrong... I'm not.
There is no mention of the clay being used as a Lens
cleaner of any sort in the product description.

Jerry

Just because something isn't well know does not mean it will not work ! Your obviously bias and you are just being dismissive without any real knowledge or experience with it....

Last edited:

That's what I was referring to when I said we have expensive products that work similarly in principal.

I was thinking and typing at the same time you were, we both thought about the same thing, LOL we were a couple of minute apart posting, I could not remember the name "First Contact" :beer:

Last edited:
Ever clay bar a car, it picks up all the stuff on the surface but if done wrong or if the clay is reused, it will leave microscratches that with cars are covered up with the waxing process. Nice idea but I would not even risk a $3 acrylic lens to this stuff. As others have said, visibly and optically clean are two different things. I can clean the sapphire face of my seiko watch to the point it looks perfect under any lighting and shine a laser at it and see stuff in the reflection that the eye can't see on the surface.. Sure, the stuff may work wonders on watches but there is a reason melles griot and the like have a very strict method for cleaning laser optics that doesn't involve any clay like material. How they clean their optics is on here somewhere but I'm not going to go through and find it right now. We use high grade alcohols and ketones because they will dissolve and wash away oils that a clay will simply smudge and transfer.

Please stick to watches.

Last edited:
A New Way To Clean Laser Lens !

It removes all dust, dirt, oils, greases, fingerprints, or residue of most any kind, It doesn't use any chemicals, rags or wipes of any kind, is reusable, It will never damage, scratch, scuff any type of lens including acrylic lens ! And if used for only cleaning laser lens will last a life time !

AND it's been used by watchmakers for a very long time with stellar results, It's called "Rodico" and it is used by watchmakers as a cleaning clay...

It can be easily made into any form needed to get into tight spots....

And if properly used it completely cleans the lens surface and leaves no residue behind !

Here a tip for using cleaning clay, You must "dab" the surface to be cleaned with a quick repeating motion making sure to dab straight to the surface and straight away, Any angles or sliding motion and it will leave extremely small "smugs" of clay behind which are again easily removed with the proper technique.

To find it on ebay just type in Bergeon Rodico 6033 cleaning clay and you will be able to buy a life time supply for less than $10 shipped to your house !
Granted that optic looks clean to the eye, but the real test would be shining a laser beam through it to see.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
It looks very clean...almost like all the coatings have been stripped off......

I'll stick with super elastic bubble plastic. (Also sold as First Contact in an uncolored form :D)

Granted that optic looks clean to the eye, but the real test would be shining a laser beam through it to see.
It has the most clean beam I've had yet but granted I don't have a lot of experience but before using the clay there would be spots or splashes or whatever you would like to call it but now there is just a clean spot on the wall......

It looks very clean...almost like all the coatings have been stripped off......

I'll stick with super elastic bubble plastic. (Also sold as First Contact in an uncolored form :D)
Funny but hardly true....

Ever clay bar a car, it picks up all the stuff on the surface but if does wrong or if the clay is reused, it will leave microscratches that with cars are covered up with the waxing process. Nice idea but I would not even risk a $3 acrylic lens to this stuff. As others have said, visibly and optically clean are two different things. I can clean the sapphire face of my seiko watch to the point it looks perfect under any lighting and shine a laser at it and see stuff in the reflection that the eye can't see on the surface.. Sure, the stuff may work wonders on watches but there is a reason melles griot and the like have a very strict method for cleaning laser optics that doesn't involve any clay like material. How they clean their optics is on here somewhere but I'm not going to go through and find it right now. We use high grade alcohols and ketones because they will dissolve and wash away oils that a clay will simply smudge and transfer.

Please stick to watches.
What would you suggest is a better way to clean a acrylic lens without risk of damage and a clean surface ?

Last edited:
I DO NOT WANT TO USE THIS ON MY LENS, how about a link to the uncolored First Contact?

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
It has the most clean beam I've had yet but granted I don't have a lot of experience but before using the clay there would be spots or splashes or whatever you would like to call it but now there is just a clean spot on the wall......

Funny but hardly true....

What would you suggest is a better way to clean a acrylic lens without damage ?

Perhaps you have discovered a new use. I would however use disposible gloves each time you use this clay too eliminate transfer of oil and sweat from your fingers to the clay.

Last edited:
Everyone please describe in detail your best method for cleaning laser lens.......

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Everyone please describe in detail your best method for cleaning laser lens.......

Fortunately, this topic has been covered and discussed literally hundreds of times here, and in almost that many threads; I just searched "How to clean a lens" in our custom search bar, and got 1940 hits, granted some are multiple posts from the same thread but there is as much "detail" as you could ever want to read.
Everything from compressed air, cotton swabs, camera lens brushes, plain water, distilled water, acetone, vinigar, reg. alcohol, 99% pure alcohol, first contact, and even clay have been suggested and used.
I think it boils down to what members 'think' works best for them, and is in their budget. We all would like to be able to use that "first contact", but I'll bet most of us aren't going to run out and buy any.
I imagine most of us are in the alcohol/swab area for a fairly high quality lens cleaning job.

@CynicalBrad, Very informational link, thanks for sharing!

Last edited: