Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

a little experiment show how much collaninated IR is in a green dpss

a little video I shot for another project. 5mw green on the left, 20mw green on the right. halfway through I install ir pass filters. these begin blocking all visable light starting at 720nm. as you can see, even with all the green filtered out, a bright (IR) dot can be seen with night vision (gen 3) over 100 yards away, but nothing is visable to the naked eye at all.

http://youtu.be/eY1-QFxOWLY

http://youtu.be/eY1-QFxOWLY

Last edited:

Very nice this shows that you don't want lots of power just enough to light the target and not bloom and obscure the image :gj:

Very nice this shows that you don't want lots of power just enough to light the target and not bloom and obscure the image :gj:

it also shows that underneath that green is some fairly well collaninated IR. lots of users here playing with high powered green lasers containing "filters" that may or may not be doing anything, and relying on safety glasses for green.

it also shows thay "5mw of green" can be 2mw green plus 2mw ir, and 20mw of green can be 19 mw green and 1 mw ir.

Last edited:

svdr

collaninated

I can not find a translation for this word. Do you mean collimated?

col·li·mate
tr.v. col·li·mat·ed, col·li·mat·ing, col·li·mates
1. To make parallel; line up.

2. To adjust the line of sight of (an optical device).

K

Krane

omg thanks for making the videos for me! makes me not want to get laser IR anymore, too much hassle with optics, will probably appear as dim red laser for people I illuminate, and it will probably get super hot because IR is pure heat.. I found some nice powerful torches on amazon that you can regulate power with as well..

as per IR laser I think if I will get one it will be 1-5mW IR just to mount on my future HK45, rifles, or even a bow

you got a burn in image cause of me? :whistle:
have you tried amber filter?

omg thanks for making the videos for me! makes me not want to get laser IR anymore, too much hassle with optics, will probably appear as dim red laser for people I illuminate, and it will probably get super hot because IR is pure heat.. I found some nice powerful torches on amazon that you can regulate power with as well..

as per IR laser I think if I will get one it will be 1-5mW IR just to mount on my future HK45, rifles, or even a bow

you got a burn in image cause of me? :whistle:
have you tried amber filter?

You don't want a IR laser? :wtf:

:crackup: you have just wiped out about most of the wavelength's then.

BTW, may I do one quick suggestion? If you have Microsoft Kinect SDK, and a kinect handy (with USB adapter, of course), you can do this one quickly; first, cover the IR laser in the kinect with something like black masking tape, and fire up the infrared camera demo, you can do some quick test as well - the IR camera in Kinect essentially ignore visible wavelength light (via built-in IR filter inside the camera). Just a suggestion for those who don't have any other cameras but just the Kinect.

Last edited: