Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A laser question

Maybe something like this,...

YouTube - depth3d's Channel

ummmmm.....are you sure this post was meant for this thread? I see no relevance to the subject of scanners/beam combining. Maybe link to a specific video.......:whistle:

"A work in progress of a series of animations produced for a glassworks company to head their websites homepage. Showing a selection of their products from multipin connectors to hollow cathode body tubes etc. "

:shhh:There must be away to combine these beams in a more easy, efficient and space saving way,...
7%20color%20Laser%20Kit.jpg
This one is nice but only up to 3 lasers. ;)

:shhh:There must be away to combine these beams in a more easy, efficient and space saving way,...
7%20color%20Laser%20Kit.jpg
This one is nice but only up to 3 lasers. ;)

That's also for three DIFFERENT FREQUENCY lasers. Combining the same wavelength is an entirely different story. And no, there is no simpler way. What you see is the only way to do it and not lose lots of power through interference.

It's not just a matter of pointing 10 lasers all at the same spot. There's this pesky thing called physics that ruins that fun.

It basically boils down to the fact that no two laser diodes emit light on the EXACT same frequency (and while it's technically possible to get this to happen, your not going to manage it without some type of large scale government or university funding). When the two frequencies are far apart, it doesn't matter so much when they mix, as the interference has a pleasing result. A not so good but only analogy I can think of at the moment, is playing a chord on a guitar. They're different notes, but they mesh well.

Now think of two laser beams of the same polarization sharing the same beam path, only one is say, 445nm and the other is 449nm. The result of this is like playing both E strings on a guitar at the same time, only with one slightly out of tune. With the guitar, the sound waves interfering with each other creates the warble that sounds godawful. With light, the interference makes the photons cancel each other out, which equals power loss.

I don't really know how to explain it any more simply than that.

And i'm also really hoping that, after typing all that, it's not just going to end up troll food, since I really feel like crap physically at the moment.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Now think of two laser beams of the same polarization sharing the same beam path, only one is say, 445nm and the other is 449nm. The result of this is like playing both E strings on a guitar at the same time, only with one slightly out of tune. With the guitar, the sound waves interfering with each other creates the warble that sounds godawful. With light, the interference makes the photons cancel each other out, which equals power loss.

Are you sure ? ..... Photons are very indisponent beings, sometimes ..... and right when you need that they acts as waves (making beating interferences), they decide to act as particles (simply adding flow to flow without make destructive interferences) ..... ;)

(just kidding ..... but not completely, about indisponent nature of photons ..... i mean, do you know the experiment that make interference pattern shooting a light beam through two slits one near the other ..... if i recall correctly, some experiment also produced the same interference pattern shooting single photons ..... like, same as if the single photons was passing contemporarily through both the slits ..... :p)

HIMNL9-you are correct that sometimes they will simply add to the overall energy, but I think in this case you could actually neutralize most or all of the power at intersection and keep it from burning anything.

Are you sure ? ..... Photons are very indisponent beings, sometimes ..... and right when you need that they acts as waves (making beating interferences), they decide to act as particles (simply adding flow to flow without make destructive interferences) ..... ;)

(just kidding ..... but not completely, about indisponent nature of photons ..... i mean, do you know the experiment that make interference pattern shooting a light beam through two slits one near the other ..... if i recall correctly, some experiment also produced the same interference pattern shooting single photons ..... like, same as if the single photons was passing contemporarily through both the slits ..... :p)

Well, the behavior of light is a tricky thing to describe.. especially to people with little physics comprehension. I was just trying to break it down in a way that was understandable and got the correct points across, even if it isn't 100% accurate.

If you have a better way of explaining it to someone with zero background on the subject.. well, i'd love to hear it. heh.

HIMNL9

If you have a better way of explaining it to someone with zero background on the subject.. well, i'd love to hear it. heh.

Me ? ..... LOL , i'm just a poor old hobbyst (more or less :p)

But, if this can console you, i know a pair of scentific researchers and a professional optic worker, that regardless all the years they are working and studying about light properties, don't know completely how to explain it, and still don't know how to explain some of these "strange things" about light .....

Once we had a pub discussion about my green pointer, the discussion shifted on light properties, and one of them started to talk about lenses and prisms and diffractions ..... and ended talking about spectral radiance, dephasing between magnetic and electric planes of photons in travel, quantic electrodynamic fields and "gauge bosons with zero lepton, baryon and flavor", and filling a paper with strange "alchemic" formulas and diagrams that was looking as if they had more than 3 dimensions, and i totally lost him :p :D (i understand common light and resonance theories, but when someone start to push quantic theories in the discussion, i get a bit lost :p)

Quantum mechanics is infinitely confusing... I hope the professors at university know how to give a straight answer (for once), cause so far no one seems to want to :crackup: