Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Good Start I Think.

Hello all!

So I have had an old Ehg host laying around for a while and it was missing the heatsink/head. I've wanted to get it replaced for the longest time but I have a hard time describing what I want when I try and have a new one made.

So, I decided to make one my own so that I could project my thoughts properly. I went out, bought a mini lathe, and mini band saw, and I already own/have access to, a bench wheel and drill press. These tools are all currently at my parents house but I was able to grab some time with them this past weekend. Once I get out of the lease on my current apartment and find a place with a garage I will be able to keep this tools with me instead of 7 hours away.
I started out just playing with the tools and making small cuts seeing what each and every tool was capable of. Then I went on to design the head for my host and I like how it is so far. I didn't have time to finish it, but in the future with a place of my own to work, I feel like I'll have lots of time to make many pieces.

Here is the old Ehg host:
tONKDti.jpg

Here is the lathe and bandsaw. Sorry for the mess, my dad was redoing the basement. I also hadn't taken the shopvac to the lathe yet:D
Edit: It is a 7X14 lathe btw.
BhO733A.jpg

Vg2TTzZ.jpg

Here is the beginning:
3Wjc8Yl.jpg

And here is the end result (so far, I still have yet to cut the appropriate holes and polish it. I might make a few small touch up cuts as well.)
UaQPdDT.jpg

OBcA2Yp.jpg

IEoQPNX.jpg

I had a lot of fun during this process and it was a great learning experience. I am excited to try this again and I am already flying through thoughts of what I want to make:D

I wanna thank MrCrouse for giving me some inspiration and some guidance on what I might need to start my own operation.

Thank you all for taking a quick look:beer:
I just really wanted to share my experience and the fun I had with it:)

Last edited:

BobMc

Very impressive, will be interesting to see the final product. Congrats on your lathe and bandsaw. Promises to be fun in the future. Enjoy :)

GSS

Good for you:) It sure looks like a nice match to the host! I have a feeling your going to be sleeping at your parents house for a while:crackup:
It looks like the new head has similar sized OD's at each size to chuck but you might want to drill the module hole first before all the pretty undercuts?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good job and congrats on your new tools Ldb7, you're going to enjoy making your own parts. :beer:
Making your own laser parts can be as much fun as using them IMO, it can also get to be just about as expensive!

As GSS mentioned, you will probably want to drill/ream your diode module hole while still chucked up, this will help keep the bore and beam straight with the O.D., and you won't have to hold your finished heatsink/head piece in the 3 jaw chuck again, and risk marring it up.

One other thing, your Central Machinery bandsaw is usually set up for wood cutting only, be careful cutting aluminum, since the blade is not made to cut hard material, and the RPM/SFPM (surface feet per minute) on a wood saw is set much faster than a metel cutting one.

:gj: +rep!

Last edited:
Good job and congrats on your new tools Ldb7, you're going to enjoy making your own parts. :beer:
Making your own laser parts can be as much fun as using them IMO, it can also get to be just about as expensive!

As GSS mentioned, you will probably want to drill/ream your diode module hole while still chucked up, this will help keep the bore and beam straight with the O.D., and you won't have to hold your finished heatsink/head piece in the 3 jaw chuck again, and risk marring it up.

One other thing, your Central Machinery bandsaw is usually set up for wood cutting only, be careful cutting aluminum, since the blade is not made to cut hard material, and the RPM/SFPM (surface feet per minute) on a wood saw is set much faster than a metel cutting one.

:gj: +rep!

Yeah I still have yet to get a chuck for the tailstock so for now the holes will need done with the drill press.

The bandsaw cuts through the aluminum very well even though the fpm is very high. Normally I'd like it to be somewhere near 300 instead of 2000, but I'll just remain cautious with it for now:)
My job requires me to work with metals every day so this wasn't much different than what I'm used to. I'd love to go back and do it again this weekend, but I got in a little fender bender on the high way:(

Last edited:

diachi

Looking forward to seeing more, that's a unique host!

Looks good! If that lathe's new make sure to check over everything to make sure it's tight and rigid (well, where it needs to be lol) I've seen some pretty poor quality control on these mini lathes before. Also don't forget your cutting fluid :cool: Good job Zach!

Last edited:
Looks good! If that lathe's new make sure to check over everything to make sure it's tight and ridged (well, where it needs to be lol) I've seen some pretty poor quality control on these mini lathes before. Also don't forget your cutting fluid :cool: Good job Zach!

Thanks EP! I gave it a good lookin over and it all seems good:)
And yeah I got my cutting fluid all set up. The lathe and mill operators where I work gave me some good tips as well, so I hope I'm set to go. Now I just need the next 5 months to go by fast so that I get move into a place with my own workshop:D