Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A few unique wavelengths

Hi all,
A few people have asked me for pictures comparing 405nm laser light to the 442nm laser light from my Helium Cadmium laser. I also decided to throw in Helium Neon 594nm as well as Helium Neon 543nm. The 405nm blu-ray is 240mW, the 442nm is about 50mW, the 594nm yellow is about 4mW and the 543nm green is probably 1mW.

Hope you guys enjoy! The camera did a pretty good job of displaying what the eye actually sees as far as the 'hue' of the light, but the 442nm light from a HeCd laser needs to be seen in person. It has a huge coherence length, making the light VERY VERY 'speckly'. It's indescribable.

Enjoy the pics!

000_1311.jpg

000_1309.jpg

I was trying to get some beam shots of all four but my camera died. I'll try again tomorrow.

iewed

And here I was enjoying my measly 150mW of 405nm :(

Nice collection of gas, how much has it cost you so far?

Those are all really beautiful.  That blue from you HeCd is breath taking. I love your avatar pic as well. I think that mulitline Argons are absolutely amazing.

I would like to start a gas laser collection and HeNe seems to be a good place to begin.

How may different wavelengths are there for HeNe lasers? Which is the rarest?

Thanks
TW

Ludwig Van said:
Those are all really beautiful.  That blue from you HeCd is breath taking. I love your avatar pic as well. I think that mulitline Argons are absolutely amazing.

I would like to start a gas laser collection and HeNe seems to be a good place to begin.

How may different wavelengths are there for HeNe lasers? Which is the rarest?

Thanks
TW

HeNe comes in a TON of different wavelengths with 543nm green being the shortest, and somewhere in the 3,390nm infrared being the longest. 632nm red is the most common HeNe. I would say the IR HeNe's are some of the more rare models, but the most rare visible HeNe based on what I've seen for sale is the 612nm orange HeNe followed by the 543nm green HeNe followed by the 594nm Yellow HeNe.

The IR are all but useless to a hobbyist. You wouldn't even know if it were lasing without the aid of a meter.

^That's not entirely true.. a lot of us hobbyists have IR lasers.. in fact all of my most powerful systems are IR and completely invisible.

yeah but these are far IR at like 500uW No burning power, not visible at all... not very fun :p

GooeyGus said:
yeah but these are far IR at like 500uW   No burning power, not visible at all... not very fun  :p

Didn't think about the power out. Gotta be able to burn, baby..