Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A few questions about IR filters and green lasers

Lol

Hello, I recently bought this product from DX, still waiting it to arrive. :)//dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2390 (add http))
So I have got a few questions;

• It's only 50mW, well, MAX 50mW and it'll probably decrease a bit after it has been used for 2-4 seconds I guess, so should I be bothering adding an IR filter? I will only be using it outside, point at stars, trees, etc. Also it'd be cool to pop some balloons, but if I add an IR filter I doubt this would even be possible.
  • The IR filter I have got is not cyan, like most other IR filters are. It's also kinda small, it's from my webcam. It's dark red, I know it is an IR filter as it blocks the IR sent out of the TV remote controller.
  • Anyone else with these 50mW Green lasers from DX (not the True ones)? If so, how long did it last before it broke (if it did, of course)?

I hope some of you have got the time and knowledge to answer these questions, I have been lurking alot on these forums but I have not found a solution to this yet. I read some post that said you should only be bothering adding an IR filter when the mW extends 100mW. Well I am not sure as I recently started playing with lasers (only got low powered red ones, thought about buying the 200mW red from DX).

Thanks,
Lol

diachi

Re: A few questions about IR filters and green las

You don't need an IR filter for this laser, you can add it if you want though. For indoor use I would still advise safety goggles though, but if your only going to use it outside you should be ok. be vigilant for reflective surfaces and other people.

for the DX 200 red you'll need safety goggles.

-Adam

Lol

Diachi said:
You don't need an IR filter for this laser, you can add it if you want though. For indoor use I would still advise safety goggles though, but if your only going to use it outside you should be ok. be vigilant for reflective surfaces and other people.

for the DX 200 red you'll need safety goggles.

-Adam
Exactly what I needed. Thank you.

- Lol

adsfasdf said:
This site has some interesting info on lasers, check it out.
You need to stop doing this. Seriously. Don't click the link, it's a pr0n site.

simp

I agree with LRMNmeyer, please don't do that again. That's very inconsiderate.

Lol

adsfasdf
Hello... Sorry I'll have to disappoint you, I do not accept tinyurl's from strangers.
Btw, you equals retard.

Kthxbai.

the admin should wordfilter "tinyurl.com" to "preview.tinyurl.com"

C0ld has already banned this guy yesterday...

What you need to do ....is edit your posts and delete the Quote
from this jerk... Else he wins.... ;)

Jerry

Lol

Okies, done!

Haha, what an idiot.

About the original topic. IR from DPSS lasers under 100mW tends to be pretty negligible, but can still be dangerous. IR filters can be obtained very cheaply, and the outcome is a safer laser.

I recommend Schott BG38 filters as they pass the highest amount of 532nm light and block the highest amount of 808nm and 1064nm IR. Typically they pass >90% of green and <.05% of IR. They usually cost less than $10 from optics sources for a 25mm round filter. I get mine from Omega labs. The people there are very helpful, and seem to know a bit about lasers as well. They've even been known to throw a few extras in for good measure since they're not really worth much.

The green is way more dangerous than the leftover IR will ever be. Don't worry about it. If you're in the position for a substantial amount of IR to actually be entering your eyes, the green will fry them way before the residual IR will.

Oh, and the dark dark dark red 'filters' from TV remotes are high pass for IR. They PASS IR while not allowing the other colors to pass. The LED's inside the remote are infrared, that is how they control the TV. If that plastic blocked IR, your remote wouldn't work.

EDIT: nevermind... I read your original post wrong. I now see that you said the filter you have does actually block the IR from the remote. I thought you meant your filter was the same as what is on the front of remotes. Oopsie :p :-[

GooeyGus said:
The green is way more dangerous than the leftover IR will ever be. Don't worry about it. If you're in the position for a substantial amount of IR to actually be entering your eyes, the green will fry them way before the residual IR will.[

That's definitely true unless you pass the beam through a prism or dichroic element which would separate the green beam from the IR. Reflecting the beam off of a pane of glass or rear-surface mirror can have the same effect as a prism as well. If the two beams are separated, then the IR is less controlled and consequently poses more of a hazard.

Personally, I believe in IR filtering all DPSS lasers. It's just less to worry about.