Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A DVD player worth getting

alennn

I can get a free Philips DVD player, I don't know the model but is it worth getting, I mean I don't want to get a 24Mw 808nm diode... :D
I am going to finally buy that soldering iron tomorrow....

ARG

CD players use IR diodes
DVD players use red diodes
Blu-Ray players use 405nm diodes

You can expect to find a low power red/IR combo diode, or one of each.

Last edited:

alennn

Thank you for the cheat sheet, rep to you. :)
I will think over it but I am definitely going to buy a soldering iron tomorrow, can't wait to start practicing soldering...

I never pass up anything free that has a visible laser diode in it. Even if the red diode is only 5mW, they
still make a great pointer and you don't have to worry so much about eye safety.

alennn

Thanks, I will see what I can grap, maybe I can ask some of the PC repair shops around here if they have any scrap CD/DVD stuff.
I just bought a soldering kit, I will start practising and my first project is fixing my old SD card reader. :)
Boy that was easy. I fixed my sd card reader. I will attempt to disassemble my DSLR and solder a broken pin back on the CF card reader.
I couldn't sell the DSLR and I don't have much money to buy a new one...

Last edited:

IsaacT

Yeah PC repair shops are great sometimes. Bring in a laser you have made and give them a reason why you would like their scrap diodes.

alennn

Or I shouldn't even tell them what I need the drives for. :D
This soldering iron saved me, I can repair some stuff and play a bit and build stuff!

IsaacT

Oh yeah I don't know sh*t about Croatia haha. Stay safe man!