Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A couple of newb questions

karbon

Hi there i have a few questions i would greatly appreciate being answered.
1) Is it still possible to buy high power lasers (green 100mw) from dealextreme and ship to the United Kingdom. I say this as i have seen the UK Amazon and eBay no longer list lasers that are over 1mw (supposidly the legal limit). If i bought a high power laser as stated would it get through the UK customs?
2) Ive been looking for diffraction gratings for my 5mw Green laser. As im from the UK where would be the best place to buy from? (Im primarily looking at starburst gratings)
3) Anyone know the general laws concerning green lasers in the UK?

Many thanks, Karbon.

1) Is it still possible to buy high power lasers (green 100mw) from dealextreme and ship to the United Kingdom. I say this as i have seen the UK Amazon and eBay no longer list lasers that are over 1mw (supposidly the legal limit). If i bought a high power laser as stated would it get through the UK customs?
DX will send any laser you want to the UK, as long as you do not place an order that shows as being worth more than £18 C&E will not take an interest, DX are very good with how things are labeled.
2) Ive been looking for diffraction gratings for my 5mw Green laser. As im from the UK where would be the best place to buy from? (Im primarily looking at starburst gratings)
I got mine from Stonetek, look at the banner ads on all forum pages.
3) Anyone know the general laws concerning green lasers in the UK?
I do not know the law in the UK (try google) just be sensible. Do not point them at any person or moving vehicles (includes planes), as long as you do nothing stupid you should be fine.

Regards rog8811

karbon

thanks for your reply, ive heard lots of good things about dealextreme so i think ill purchase from there, i just wanted to hear a response from another uk resident. your advice is to order under £18?

Edit: i bought a 30mw kaleidoscopic laser from dealextreme ($18.99/£11.99)ill let you know how it goes

Last edited:

diachi

As far as I'm aware it is perfectly legal to own a laser of any power in the UK. It is illegal to retail a laser over 1mW in the UK without certification. There are also laws concerning the use of lasers where the public have access to them, such as in a commercial or entertainment environment. It would also be illegal to point a laser at a person,vehicle, or plane/helicopter.

Regards,

Adam

your advice is to order under £18?

The attached was for an order that was only £22.00, as you can see by the time I had gone to the sorting office to collect it I had paid half as much again.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• customs charge01.jpg
    customs charge01.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 186

karbon

The attached was for an order that was only £22.00, as you can see by the time I had gone to the sorting office to collect it I had paid half as much again.

Regards rog8811

wow that really sucks, sorry for being dumb but items over £18 are subject to customs duty? wow i never knew about this, it adds another substaintial cost to importing lasers

You will note that 2/3 of the charge is from the good old post office. I phoned them up for a chat....
They told me that when customs take a registered package out of the system that is how much it costs the PO to collect it and process it again, I told them I considered it profiteering.

Regards rog8811

karbon

You will note that 2/3 of the charge is from the good old post office. I phoned them up for a chat....
They told me that when customs take a registered package out of the system that is how much it costs the PO to collect it and process it again, I told them I considered it profiteering.

Regards rog8811

haha i agree with you man, ahh suppose there is nothing we can do id be greatful if you could take a look at my other topic regarding blue/violet lasers :)

Code:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?p=529284#post529284

HIMNL9

LOL, same here ..... one of my packages had 4 euro of tax and 8 of "mail expenses", after 19 days stopped with no reasons in custom deposit (the time they usually loose keeping packages in the deposit, til the moment that someone get bored enough for all that nothing done, so decide to check them for pass some time, they call it "mail expenses", and ofcourse charge you for this :p)

BURN THEM ALL :wtf:

:D