Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A 532nm 200mW green laser demonstration at distance

BobMc

Wow that's pretty impressive. 25km's is aprox 15.5 miles. Not bad for a 200mw 532. :whistle:

Last edited:

diachi

Pretty cool seeing lasers from the other end over a large distance! A laserscope doing a beamshow from 10 miles away at night is quite the sight... Thanks for sharing! :)

((( WOW! ))) Just goes to show the visibility of a GREEN laser! Great video!!

I'd like to see how bright it is if shot into a line lens and then swept across the horizon.

Far too often we see lasers from the business end (inside or pointing into the sky) and frankly they all look alike in my opinion no matter at what mW. It's much more interesting to see how any particular laser appears when looking at one from a great distance.

This doesn't surprise me as I thought the link to the pseudoscience mapping the earth as flat was flawed in that a three watt couldn't be located at three miles out. This doesn't seem to be done with binoculars or a telescope either, just a camera. If they wanted to modulate the beam with audio, it could be used as a line of sight transmitter/receiver.

Benm

Nice experiment for sure, though it doesn't really state anything about what was used on the transmitting side - just a simple 532 handheld, or perhaps something with a beam enhancer?

Getting the line of sight path for 25 km is not that difficult - you need to be about 50 meters above ambient ground/sea level to achieve it, so it could be replicated from any highrise really.

It does get more difficult after that though, to achieve 50 km you need 200 meters elevation, and for 100 km about 800 meters and so on. Given that the limit would be in the order of 300 kilometers if you stood atop mount everest and had a clear path to sea level (not likely given weather and height of surrounding land).