Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9v to 12 power supply

Peter Dodge

I'm trying to get a steady stream of 12 volts for a project I'm working on, and I am too broke to buy a variable power supply, so I found a 240v to 9v wall adapter, but I want to use a capacitor to step it up to 12v. What capacitor would I use, and could I combine a 5v power supply to get it to 14v which I would also be happy with... thanks for any help

Single capacitor won't work. You will want to buy boost converter such as this:

Don't know how much current will your project drain so what project are you working on? A little more info would be better. And yes you could combine 9V and 5V PSU's together to get 14V but you could fry your 5V psu i don't recomend it (fried a few like this).

Last edited:
If you have a 9 volt and a 5 volt wall wart, you should be able to combine them in series to get 14 volts as long as they both use an isolation transformer. But, the current should not exceed the current of the lowest wall wart. I would just buy a 12 volt wall wart and be done with it, though.

If you were a little more clear as to exactly the project you were working on it would help us determine exactly which kind of supply you'd need.

Thinking--- This may or may not be applicable in your case but.... if you making an arduino based measuring devices that uses one the ADCs or timers:

1) Many sensitive components can have issues with boost convertors as they can transmit HF transistor noise if they aren't filtered properly throwing off ADC measurements or reference voltages causing all matter of weirdness to occur.

2) Walwarts can also introduce 50/60hz transients into components as well depending on the quality of the capacitors used.

Peter Dodge

yeah... I just went ahead and got a 12v power supply from the thrift store

thanks for the info, and I think ill also get a boost converter module too. :)

Oh, you mean a Therimin, named after the Russian that invented it back in the early 20th century. Jimmy Page used to use one in concert to do "Whole Lotta Love" back in the day. Saw him do so in January 1971. Again in 1978. Also, watched the Live Aid concert on television back in 1985. Good stuff.