Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9V battery mod?

Mannitu78

Hello,
excuse me for making my 4th thread on my 1st day, but ive got a lot to ask and i dont like to put all in 1 single thread. I was wondering how convenient it would be if we here in Europe could just use the regular 9V batteries. The have a little bit more power, you can get them recharchable and non-rech. and they are made by very high quality factories like Varta and Energizer. So why do all of the handheld Laser come with this inconvenient 2x3,7v Layout and this sketchy batteries that you can very often only get on the internet for a high price or in low quality?

And what would happen if i mod my Laser and connect it to a 9Volt battery? 9Volt doesnt seem to far away from (2x3,7) 7,4 Volt, maybe it would even be a little brighter? Or is the circuitry that sensitive that its not a good idea?
thank you.

The rechargeable Li-ion batteries we use here can deliver much more current than any typical 9 volt battery ever could. You might be able to power some low power lasers with one, but they are not recommended in most cases. I never buy my batteries from just anyone on eBay. I often use liionwholesale.com. They only ship new, tested rechargeables that test at or above stated capacity.

Mannitu78

i already orderd 2 more battery sets from Fenix and enercig...both are supposed to deliver whats printed on them not like the blue Ultrafires that came with the package.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
i already orderd 2 more battery sets from Fenix and enercig...both are supposed to deliver whats printed on them not like the blue Ultrafires that came with the package.
Ah, now i understand why you refer to the lithium ion batteries most lasers use as "sketchy". Ultrafire, Trustfire, pretty much anything with fire in the name are brands to be avoided. Look around and you'll find plenty of posts here regarding battery quality. Order from liionwholesale.com and I'm pretty confident you'll have a change of heart about these batteries. And if you don't have one get a good charger.

Mannitu78

do weak batteries also affect the output power or only how long you can use the laser before recharging? isnt the drivercircuit supposed to always create a stable and defined output-current?

The driver can't produce what your battery that powers it cannot. Use good Li-ion batteries. You won't be sorry.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
To elaborate on the answer above, Yes crappy batteries can and will reduce the output power of a laser. Consider the case of a high power (watts, plural) diode running on a boost driver (1 lithium cell @ it's nominal 3.6 volt rating). The forward voltage of the diode will be higher than the battery voltage so the driver has to 'boost' the voltage from the battery. The driver does this by drawing extra current. So if the diode is running at 2 amps of current the driver will be drawing more than 2 amps from the battery. A cheap battery will 'sag' under the load, outputting less than its rated 3.6 volts making the driver pull even more current in order to deliver the 2 amps output. More current draw leading to greater 'sag' causing even higher current draw. This is not a sustainable situation and the battery will quickly reach the point where it cannot deliver enough current for the driver to operate correctly reducing the output of the diode. Always use high quality batteries. You won't regret the small additional cost.

Mannitu78

my enercig arrived today...i spent quite a while looking at these results from:

edit:cant link...battery test review, the site with the charts and graphes, you probably know.....

and the enercig are among the best while being cheaper than some of the others...well they are also blue but it seems like they have nothing in common with the other blue ones which are very weak and always come with the lasers. Seems they are from Nikon or produced for Nikon cameras or something like that....Actually they didnt test the 16340 from enercig, but a few others and they were always excellent. I paid something like 15eu for 4 pieces. Ive also ordered 4 of the Fenix 16340 which are a little more expensive, just to be on the save side. this should be enough for my 5 watt diode im gonna order next year muhahaha.