Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8X Diode Manufacturer?

Does anyone have any info on who manufactures the 405nm diode used in 8x and 12x blu-ray writer?

I heard sanyo produced a 450mW this year but on their product list-

Electronic Device Company Photonics Business Division

Electronic Device Company Photonics Business Division

Nothing simmilar seems to be avaliable
----

Sony seem have some high power pulsed diodes

Sony Global - Laser Diode

----

I found this company on alibaba which claims to have 20mW to 500mW 9mm laser diodes... but i doubt these are CW.
Blue Laser Diode Series Manufacturer exporting direct from Taiwan

(I have sent an e-mail for a datasheet and a price)
----
So i was just wondering if any of you had any info?
If we can find the manufacturer of the diode it must be cheaper to buy directly from them rather then buying a entire 8x writer.

Last edited:

It's not cheaper to buy direct from the manufacturer, it has been tried.

This is because we can't buy in quantity. The diodes manufacturers require quantities in the thousands to even begin to bring the prices down, and there's no way that hobbyists can buy in the quantities required to get cheaper diodes.
The best hobbyists can do is to mooch off of the huge quantities that sled and drive manufacturers buy, because they actually do buy in significant quantities.

I mean, you're welcome to try I suppose, but many have tried and have successfully gotten quotes. But to get the prices to even begin to come down, you're looking at purchasing way into the thousands of diodes up front with your own money. But hey, if you have a hundred grand laying around to invest in high-power diodes for hobbyists, feel free.

ok, looks like i'm going to have to buy a 8x blu-ray writer. Might as well get two as i need one for my computer :p

I'll see how the quote goes anyway :).