Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$81.00 For A Tripod Seriously

So I'm thinking about tripods now as I've got to get something better and more stable than the bendy legs I have now. Laserglow had one that looked good the ATP001XXX for $34.00.

So I decide to place my order and find that they sell the tripod clamp heads separately for another $29.00. Then shipping will cost $18.00. Now we're at $81.00. :scowl: Way to many hidden costs in this so I decided to cancel. The search for a good laser tripod goes on.

A quality, stable tripod will cost a good amount of money.
I recommend shopping at BH photo & video.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

This is what I use as a travel tripod for photography:
Cullmann Nanomax 250 Aluminum Tripod CU 52501 B&H Photo Video

It is lightweight, stable, strong, and compact. It isn't the best, but its good enough to use as a stable platform and is pretty versatile.

If you want something much smaller and less expensive, try this:
Template - B&H Photo Video

Free shipping in the USA.

Also, you can get a clamp for your lasers at Dealextreme.com:
Universal Clamp Mount for Tripods (Holds up to 3.8cm Thick Objects) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

This clamp is pretty sturdy. I put some sticky foam pads on the inside of the clamp for better support and grip on smooth lasers.

A quality, stable tripod will cost a good amount of money.

You are so right about this. But when I saw Laserglow advertising a smaller tripod at $81.00 I realised I may as well just get a real tripod instead. For my photography work I use the big heavy ones for stability. I'm in a lot of storms where windy conditions demand stability.

I just purchased a Vanguard Auctus Plus 283AT which will replace my SLIK pro 300DX. Do you know if the Deal Extreme clamp head would fit the 300DX? I could just use that as my laser tripod.

I just purchased a Vanguard Auctus Plus 283AT which will replace my SLIK pro 300DX. Do you know if the Deal Extreme clamp head would fit the 300DX? I could just use that as my laser tripod.

I'm not sure since I don't own the SLIK 300DX but the clamp fits on all my tripods no problem. I think it will work just fine.
The Deal Extreme clamp isn't super rigid but if you are not using your lasers near a tornado I think it should hold just fine. :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure since I don't own the SLIK 300DX but the clamp fits on all my tripods no problem. I think it will work just fine.
The Deal Extreme clamp isn't super rigid but if you are not using your lasers near a tornado I think it should hold just fine. :D

Don't give me any ideas :eg: Laser on side of meso hmmm, nope I better not. Looks like the clamp you mentioned should work the screw size looks identical to the plate.

Hang on a minute here, what kind of laser are you using? The "clamp heads" we sell (it's called a Glowmount) is just an adapter to fit Aries, Hercules, or Galileo sized lasers. If you don't have one of those three, it's not going to fit anyways. The tripod uses a standard tripod mounting screw, so if you already have some sort of clamp for your laser that attaches to a tripod then you don't need anything else.

Also, use the SHIPFREE discount code. It's right there on the shopping cart page. Free shipping on orders over $50, and if it's under $50 the shipping is only $3.95. :)

I have one of those tripods and it's the most solid tripod I have ever owned or even seen.

Why not use a Panavise instead? You can get a Panavise Jr., or my preferred Panavise Jr. Head + low-profile-base/vacuum-base. They cost a lot less than $81, and they're really nice for holding stuff to solder on (my primary use). With the plastic vise head, the laser host won't get scratched, and it can accommodate lasers of any size (even lab lasers).

Last edited:
Hmmm that might just work looking at the pics, how stable is it?

Very stable if you tighten it down properly. For laser holding it's quite stable, especially because of the mass, and I've used it for testing lens reflectance, etc. The Panavise Jr. head has some ruts for holding the boards in place, but these also work nicely for keeping tubes (like hosts) in position.

The base has enough mass that I rarely use the suction cup (mine is the vacuum base version) when I solder, or even with positioning lasers. I imagine the screw-base version is exceptionally solid once screwed into position. You might look into the standard base version if you want extra mass; the one I linked to is the low-profile version. You could probably use it for diode-pressing too with the real vice head.

I just got a pair of speaker tripods- able to hold 100lbs `8 ft from ground- free shipping & quick too. I am making a Al 'cage' that will attach to the 6X9 plate on top and thus allow any tilt I want- I 'LIKE' $45 for both. China made but look like they will work just fine- nice large spread legs,very stable and plenty sturdy.
Ebay

Pair Professional Speaker Stands Tripod Heavy Duty NEW | eBay

I had some black metal tubes that slip inside perfect to add another 18" to the height.

I plan to fashion a 'drape' to go around the legs--hides the cords and make the tripods easier to see in the dark- less chance of someone walking or tripping on them.

More heavy duty than I expected at that price, I may get another pair.

Last edited: