Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

808m Shorted?

High Octane said:
[quote author=Aseras link=1193098463/0#13 date=1193251362]almost all bare diodes are case positive.

I'm confused as well. My diode is in a can.
So, how does one determine the polarity or what is the general rule of thumb on certain diodes and their polarity?

Oh and can someone tell me how to drop from 5v to 2.2ish without dropping my amps?

Thanks[/quote]

I bought an ebay 200mW 808nm from snoctony
It says run at 2.2v at 290mA
I at first hooked up 3v 250mA like the senkat diode (I hooked up the laser's + to the - on my driver and so on) and it didnt turn on.

I put positive on the case grounded and neg on the other and it worked, but it was dim red and I thought it was dead.

since I thought it was dead I stuck it into a minimag, got the red, then it got REALLY REALLY hot and I burned my finger BADLY getting it out

then, I found out thats what IR is supposed to look like......

I immidiately hooked and soldered back onto DDL circuit (still not knowing it needs 2.2 and 290mA) and ran it like a GB diode, with my camcorder on IR sensing mode (night mode) I found that it was [highlight]LASING AND WORKING PERFECTLY!![/highlight]

OMG!!!!

I know this is somewhat not related, but I thought it would help. I dont know, Ive only had one IR laser before (the one I just told u about) but Im running mine at 3v 250mA very fine.

I just cant see it so I cant focus it properly, my aixiz lens is scratched too, so Im waiting for a new one from SenKat.

regards,

amk

amk, you aren't actually driving it with 3 Volts at 250mA. Probably more like 2.2 Volts at 250mA. Maybe even 2.1763423 Volta at 250mA. :D
Might want to re-read a few posts in the 'homemade LD driver' thread
this one as well as the next few posts
and
Gazoo's post here

Things

Oh and 808nm is VERY hard to focus without lots of expensive optics! Sticking it in a aixiz module will work, but the beam specs will still be crap.