Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

808m Shorted?

H

High_Octane

I have a 1000mw 808nm LD that is shorted.
What I'm wondering is...
What is more likely:
  • The LD was faulty from the factory?
  • I screwed it up?

I can see burning one out "OPEN" but not shorting one.

anyone care to enlighten me?

Honestly, its more likely you screwed it up. What do you mean its shorted though. When you apply voltage it tries drawing as much current as it can? What connections are you hooking it up to?

H

High_Octane

pseudonomen137 said:
Honestly, its more likely you screwed it up. What do you mean its shorted though. When you apply voltage it tries drawing as much current as it can? What connections are you hooking it up to?

Yes, it does act like its drawing alot, When I put an LED in the circuit, and then connect a feed wire to the LD the LED goes out almost like the LD is shorted rather than pulling a load?

The polarity is as follows
.---> Ground
Positive<--------- . . ------> Nothing connected
When checking the positive and negative pins on the diode with my Meter set to Diode it reads .016 no matter which way I connect the polarity.

H

High_Octane

Powered by a rat shack variable Power supply " 1.5- 12v 300ma, set at 4.5v, to my DDL's circuit.

S

SenKat

High Octane - I THINK you may have the pinout incorrect. Most of the 808nm diodes I have seen are CASE positive - which is opposite what your diagram shows - the pin that is grounded to the case pointing at the top would be positive, and the one to the left would be negative....I think you reverse voltage killed the diode perhaps ? Check it out, man....I have never seen a case negative 808nm diode...

LarryQ

Senkat beat me to that one...
I was playing with an 808nm diode and it was indeed case positive!

.---> Positive
 Negative<--------- .     . ------> Nothing connected

On the good side..I did connect mine up backwards the first time I tried it..simply changing polarity, and it fired right up!

I hope yours is still OK..it sounds like a BEAST!!

LarryQ

High Octane said: