Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7 Watt hand held beam shot picture.

So... I purchased an Arcane 2.0 from Sci Fi Lasers. This may just be the most powerful single diode hand held laser in the world. The review is to come shortly with more pictures and stats. Last night I took it out to a quiet place I know on a moor. 7 Watts of 445nm rage. The heat produced is incredible, and as such the chunky copper heat-sink is invaluable.

10892-arcane-2-0-sci-fi-lasers-7-watt-445nm.jpg

The divergence is massive. I need to measure it as soon as weather permits. You don't really notice the rectangular "dot" if you aim it into the heavens, or reflect it. So I knew what I wanted to do for a beamshot picture. It is just a colossally impressive laser to behold and it blows my 1.6W 445nm out of the water. The below image is an 8 second exposure. It showcases what the laser does perfectly. The beam is so bright, and the glare is so immense I decided to wear safety glasses whilst setting up this picture.

10896-almighty-sci-fi-lasers-arcane-2-0-7-watt-445nm-divergence-massive-you-can-see-after-s-bounced-illuminates-cloud-bank-distance-beam-divergence-can-seen-diagonal-line-sky-painting-cloud-few-miles-away-awesome-power-brightness-untamed-power.jpg

You can clearly see the rectangular "dot" and the divergence painting a massive line on a cloud layer in the distance. It hits clouds with ease when turned skyward, in fact it makes them flash a pale blue if the cloud layer is at low altitude, I can notice it with the naked eye, and this shot demonstrates and confirms this laser's power.

A huge thank you to Eitan from Sci Fi Lasers for shipping it fast and keeping me informed. Hope you like the beam shot :D I had a lot of fun taking it :thanks:

Benm

That packs some serious punch!

The divergence is a bid sad though. I know it's an issue you know about when you build or buy one of these, but when you actually use it at large distances it remains odd. It doesnt have to be as far away as those clouds to be noticable, if you shine it at a tree 100 meters away it will already be a thin line.

Yea you are right. It collimates fine under 30 feet. The power when turned towards the sky is mind blowing, just the colour and how solid and wide the beam is. It makes my 1.6W 445nm look very tame. The only improvement I can think of would be a beam expander for outdoor use. It is a hugely entertaining laser, and in a well made host. The sheer power and brightness are amazing to see in real life. The photos really do not do it justice :D

I see from website SciFi lasers it only takes the little 16350 batteries. Do I have this right? I'm looking the Sanwu/Podo version as well. He admitted he wanted to work the bugs out before producing them. Awesome power though

Yes, it takes a pair of 16340 batteries. It drinks them fairly fast too. Amazing power. I suppose some form of optics could be used to collimate it better and reduce the divergence. Beam expander? Personally I don't mind. I'm having far too much fun lighting up clouds with it to worry me. :yh:

I have admired some of Podo's builds, they are excellent. I'd be very interested to see what he can do with a 7W.

I'm reading this thread and want to view the picture being referenced but I don't see a picture or a clickable link. I've seen this situation in much older postings before and just assumed that the picture or link had been removed, but this thread is only a week old, so this makes me wonder if there is a picture still available in the original post or if there is a problem with my browser. I'm using firefox 40.0.3.

Can anyone else see a picture in the first post?

Ed

Pman

Nice unit and yeah, for pure output its nasty.
Really surprised at using the 16340 for something that draws so hard. Assume you can't fit 18350 then. What batteries are you using? Curious as to how much voltage drop. Not sure which 16340 cells are rated for that draw (not that other cells won't work).

Last edited:
Can you still not see it? I am able to see it perfectly :S
Thank you for responding. :thanks: I refreshed the page several times in the past couple of days and no pictures showed. Now this morning when I go to the first post I see two pictures. With 16 GB of ram I thought I wouldn't be having these types of problems, even with many browser tabs loaded, but I must have been wrong.

Sorry for derailing this thread. That is one beautiful laser. I want one. :drool:

Ed

I have one of those diodes in a host and last night I pointed at a black rock and it burst into flames and went completely up in smoke, what the hell? Rocks don't burn!

Edit: (OK, it was really a naptha soaked charcoal briquette)

Last edited:
Spirits, I need to get myself one of those diodes.

I never cared much for beam specs, only power output. And that looks like the mother of all power outputs :D How does the beam visibility compare to say... 2W 445nm, if you got any to compare it to?

Also, beamshot if freaking AWESOME. It's a true light-saber visual effect there - white glowing core of the beam, with color just kind of bleeding out into half the image.

Can't imagine the effect thing thing would have in a thick fog. Or a heavy snowfall.

Nice unit and yeah, for pure output its nasty.
Really surprised at using the 16340 for something that draws so hard. Assume you can't fit 18350 then. What batteries are you using? Curious as to how much voltage drop. Not sure which 16340 cells are rated for that draw (not that other cells won't work).

I have actually filmed one of these and during filming I used it with the same batteries for around 10 minutes. ( filming took longer - 10 mins total run time ).

I will be able to upload more video soon.

:beer:

APEX1

I might have to grab one of these soon lol I have to buy an LPM fist and a few things from DTR next week. my whole check will be gone :(

Is there a reason he designed it to use just the little batteries? I want one but I would like to see a longer host to take the longer 18650s

The two smaller cells run it perfectly. I've had over 10 mins of use in one session now, it's fun to burn things with this laser. I was using 16340s with it. No issue at all. I keep a spare set charged in case, and honestly it runs perfectly well for a long time before you notice a difference in power.