Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x blu-ray 100mW 405nm laser lighting a match!!

Re: 6x blu-ray 100mW 405nm laser lighting a match!

Milos said:
very nice. this was more impressive that any green "match kill" I ever seen. Could the energy in short wave length help burn better? Or you had it super focused to less than 1mm at the match head?

In any case, future of our hobby looks GREAT !!!

thanks for posting!

I am pretty sure, due to the lower wavelength, the violet laser can focus down even further than a green, red or any other color above its wavelength.

After all, thats why they use them for Blu-Ray disks, which hold a lot more data than DVD, and can only be read if the laser can focus down to a even smaller point. The smaller the point, the more data can be read from a single disk medium.

This is probably why 25mW violets can ignite matches. They are as burn worthy as a 60mW and up greenie. I'd estimate around 2x's or more burn-worthy.

My 5mw blu-ray can ignite a fuse and it's quite dim... :eek:

geo-r

Actually the blue ray look violet like uv led light.That is normal?

geo-r

Actually the blue ray look violet like uv led light.That is normal?

oops !!!sorry double post ::)

405 nM is near UV light.  That's why the beam does neat stuff to florescent things.  Kinda' a purple laser  :D

Mike

Switch

leukoplast said:
[quote author=Milos link=1203918728/15#29 date=1204037125]very nice. this was more impressive that any green "match kill" I ever seen. Could the energy in short wave length help burn better? Or you had it super focused to less than 1mm at the match head?

thanks for posting!

I am pretty sure, due to the lower wavelength, the violet laser can focus down even further than a green, red or any other color above its wavelength.

After all, thats why they use them for Blu-Ray disks, which hold a lot more data than DVD, and can only be read if the laser can focus down to a even smaller point.  The smaller the point, the more data can be read from a single disk medium.

This is probably why 25mW violets can ignite matches.   They are as burn worthy as a 60mW and up greenie.  I'd estimate around 2x's or more burn-worthy.
[/quote]

I doubt that drlava's laser dot is anywhere near 405nm in diameter at that distance, using a simple collimating lens ::) But I don't know...Can blu-ray diodes achieve smaller beam waists than red diodes using the same regular optics :-/

drlava

Hey, the dot was about 0.7mm for this video, but yes it can be made much smaller!

Gazoo

Switch said:
[quote author=leukoplast link=1203918728/30#32 date=1204055432][quote author=Milos link=1203918728/15#29 date=1204037125]very nice. this was more impressive that any green "match kill" I ever seen. Could the energy in short wave length help burn better? Or you had it super focused to less than 1mm at the match head?

thanks for posting!

After all, thats why they use them for Blu-Ray disks, which hold a lot more data than DVD, and can only be read if the laser can focus down to a even smaller point. The smaller the point, the more data can be read from a single disk medium.

This is probably why 25mW violets can ignite matches. They are as burn worthy as a 60mW and up greenie. I'd estimate around 2x's or more burn-worthy.
[/quote]

I doubt that drlava's laser dot is anywhere near 405nm in diameter at that distance, using a simple collimating lens ::) But I don't know...Can blu-ray diodes achieve smaller beam waists than red diodes using the same regular optics :-/[/quote]

The wavelength is 405nm....not the size of the dot..lol.

leukoplast is correct for the reasoning using BR diodes...they can burn and read much more data due to the fine point of the beam.

Switch

leukoplast is correct for the reasoning using BR diodes...they can burn and read much more data due to the fine point of the beam.
But the smallest possible dot achievable is 405nm in diameter right? Just like red would be 650nm and green would be 532 nm, so say a 1000nm dot would be achievable using any laser of a wavelength shorter than 1000nm, including BR , red or green, so in that case it wouldn't make a difference.I may be getting a little confused here..... :-/

drlava said:
Hey, the dot was about 0.7mm for this video, but yes it can be made much smaller!

Yea but a green or red laser can also be focused into a 0.7mm dot so there you go, that can't be the reason blu-rays burn better..(?).. :-/

LG LIGHTSCRIBE GGW-H20L 6X SUPER MULTI BLU-RAY SATA DISC REWRITE are available in the mid $300 range right now.

Would that be the diode that the 'red hot' Drlava is using?

Anything that can light a match 'instantaneously' from several feet is worthy of addition to my 'Wall of Wavelengths' ! ! !

Props, Drlava.....

TS

That's the drive I got my 6x from. I'm sure DrL's is the same.

Mike

drlava

GGW-H20L, that's the one.

Gazoo

Switch said:

But the smallest possible dot achievable is 405nm in diameter right? Just like red would be 650nm and green would be 532 nm, so say a 1000nm dot would be achievable using any laser of a wavelength shorter than 1000nm, including BR , red or green, so in that case it wouldn't make a difference.I may be getting a little confused here..... :-/

drlava said:

Yea but a green or red laser can also be focused into a 0.7mm dot so there you go, that can't be the reason blu-rays burn better..(?).. :-/

The shorter wavelength of the BR does allow for the dot to be focused smaller than that of a red diode. This is how more data is able to be stored and read on a disk.

Laser and optics

Blu-ray Disc uses a "blue" (technically violet) laser operating at a wavelength of 405 nm to read and write data. Conventional DVDs and CDs use red and near infrared lasers at 650 nm and 780 nm respectively.

The blue-violet laser's shorter wavelength makes it possible to store more information on a 12 cm CD/DVD sized disc. The minimum "spot size" on which a laser can be focused is limited by diffraction, and depends on the wavelength of the light and the numerical aperture of the lens used to focus it. By decreasing the wavelength, increasing the numerical aperture from 0.60 to 0.85 and making the cover layer thinner to avoid unwanted optical effects, the laser beam can be focused to a smaller spot. This allows more information to be stored in the same area. In addition to the optical improvements, Blu-ray Discs feature improvements in data encoding that further increase the capacity. (See Compact disc for information on optical discs' physical structure.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Benm

These blue rays seem to be getting more powerful by the month... i'll build some when prices come down further ;)

You should combine that computer control with one of those usb-missile launchers... you can aim and fire all from the keyboard then. Must be good against, well, unwanted planets? ;D

The shorter wavelength of the BR does allow for the dot to be focused smaller than that of a red diode. This is how more data is able to be stored and read on a disk.

I guess this is an advantage of shorter wavelength. The main benefit is that the emitting area has to be smaller to still make it work in single mode, which makes focussing at a distance easier too.

and thats also why they can record 25GB's on a disc

wow, you look like you're in some high tech movie with that computer. "Max Power! Fire the LASER!" lol ;D