Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

638nm/Oclaro 700

I think 1.3w is average with the Mitts 500 bro at 1.4a is that the current your driving it or lower?

Sorry maybe not mines 1.2 at 15seconds on a tec based LPM.

Attachments

• 1454957148.6738.iPicit.jpg
    1454957148.6738.iPicit.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi PMan,
A Mitsu500 at 1.3W's now thats sweet hope it lasts a lifetime buddy wow..I'm also using 3 element now for clipping the multi modes and the G 2 for a power reading and data logging thats the way to go. Think i'll order some more Mitsu's and a few 700's and play with them . I don't know what it is with the 638's but i like em.
I sure would like to get the 650's maybe there's some floating around i'll have to search..
Rich:)

@ BBB,
I'm going to try them at 1.3A and see how i do if i can get 1W from a mitsu or even close i'll be happy with that Pal. But i'll use an SXD with ramp up so it don't get smacked with all that current at once. Wish me luck Brother..

Pman

I finished my Oclaro 700 laser66 build earlier and it hits just over 1W using the same setup as the Mits 500 did. What I'm using for drivers for them is weird though and both take a single 10440 size LiFePO4 (lower voltage ie they charge to 3.7V) as it's doubtful they could handle the 4.2V 10440.
I have a bunch of stuff to post but I'm also working something else and will eventually get around to them. Finished my 200mW single mode 520nm early this morning too in a special CNI pen host. Had a couple of annoying issues building that one that made it take much longer than it should have but it looks nice. Awaiting pieces/parts for my pen single mode builds. Need drivers for some of them so if anyone has some adjustable drivers that are good for lower outputs let me know what you have. Don't like how expensive drivers seem to be now but I may have to suck it up if I can't find cheaper ones.

Last edited:
Hi P man,
Hey you have pics of the builds the 700 at 1W and the 520 at 200mW. Nice what are they set to ? You said your using 1-10440 cell is it a boost or bucking driver? My 700 / 1W uses 1 or 2 10440 cells using a bucking. 1 W 638's pens have 3 hosts sitting well time to make some more pens.

Yes good luck Lifetime17 you will love it, can't wait to see your result. Try it on your PS if your happy wit 1.3 bro leave it there, Awesome!

Hi BBB,
Yes i always use my PSU to find how efficient the diodes are when i get them. I usually test all of them . And now i have a 7W LPM with data logging to show the curve, that help tremendously. Thanks bro..

Have you tried measuring output when the laser is really cold? went out for a walk the other night with my 638s, it was really cold, soon the host and heat sink were cold. when I brought them in I thought I'd meter them. my 200mW was doing an extra 25mW, my 1W hit pretty close to 1200mW. might be the best wavelength to use in the cold

Last edited:

Pman

I'm working on other things right now and am not ready to get into posting any of my recent builds although there are 4 of them completed plus there should be a 405nm gold plated laser 66 with indicator finished in a couple days when the driver and diode get here. I made up the 4 switches already to complete the rest of the 66's I have with 3 of the 4 having the LED indicator.
The 2 reds I built (mits 500 and Oclaro 700) both have the same driver that I had sitting around forever and are a weird choice but they do work. They are Ben boosts and use a single 10440 size LiFePO4 cell to keep the voltage down (fully charged at 3.7V). You get peaks at 1.1W and 1W and then the output very slowly starts to drop. All good as you wouldn't run them very long in those hosts anyways.
On a side note I just knew the mits 500 would give me more output. From my experience I always get a bit higher output on the 500 so I prefer it over the 700. My bet is there are more 500 than 700 builds out there regardless of hosts. It's not like I don't already own some in regular hosts with good heat sinking.

Where was it that someone mentioned the best way to buy those laser 66 hosts so you aren't waiting forever? I can't seem to find it and I am going to be building single modes in some of them but don't have enough hosts to do what I want unless I use some other pens I have.

Hi,
Shake,
Thats a cool experiment raw outside temps to evaluate our out put nice. I'll do that but with my 44 with 2-32650's great idea. I'll also try the 700's and the 500 mitsu's.

Hi Pman,
Can't wait to see you builds,all are sweet i'm sure. Hey just for the hello it try what Shake said with temp change,those pens would get cold fast. A before and after reading Hey i'll give it a shot. We all live in cold climates basically, You been busy PMan stop keeping us in suspense Your Pen Man.!!

Last edited:

Pman

I noticed that output jump in my reds too. I stuck one I had in a -30 freezer and the output skyrocketed to between 1/3 and 1/2 more. I say that because I don't remember the exact numbers. Have to be careful with that kind of stuff because of the condensation factor;)

Hi P,
Well the diodes were dirt cheap and your absolutely correct about condensate. For the price of the diode i would take a chance I don't mind rebuilding a host if i had to. Then you can see what these can do. Condensate would be a concerning factor yes ...thats a given.
Just waiting for them to arrive now , we will see maybe get a good batch..

yeah was going to mention the condensing issue. outside it seems like less a danger than using a freezer inside

Yes the next 4 days here are going to be in the 20's and 30's so now is a great time to test some builds. I'll most likely try this weekend if not to busy,

Pman

The way I had noticed the cold thing was about a year or so ago I bought a couple of lasers from someone who was selling a bunch of stuff and managed to get a steal on them (both at $50 each). They were sold as having an issue such as the 635nm needed it's lens cleaned and the 532nm had a battery that was stuck inside the tube.
Well when they arrived they were very cold from being winter in N.Y. and sitting in the USPS delivery truck for many hours. I cleaned the lens on the 635 and measured it while it was still pretty cold and noticed how high the output was initially before it started dropping to a steady output. So, I took a chance and stuck it in the freezer in a sealed bag for awhile and after immediately removing it measured it again and was shocked at the output.
The 532nm units "stuck" battery actually slid right out when it arrived because the cold made it shrink. The battery actually had no damage so I figure it either got hot and expanded or the seller pushed a too thick cell in it and couldn't get it out.
The best part of the story is both are class 4 output for a total of $100 and are not cheapo units. The 635nm is a big beefy unit and the 532nm is in a green smooth cylindrical host that is a nice metallic green.
Anyways, that's my story and I'm stikin' to it.