Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

60W: Cutting a match and lighting electrical tape

Re: 60W: Cutting a match and lighting electrical t

Glad to be of assistance with the nipples.

As a matter of fact, I found out the hard way metal is a nono. That's how the output coupler cooler was cracked. The focal length on this lens is 7" so after a few feet it's dispersed enough to avoid any holes in my drywall. A shorter focal length will yield a smaller focal point (better cutting) but the smoke and debris (I also found out the hard way) collects on the lens which in turns absorbs the energy, heats up the lens and ultimately fractures it. So I opted for a longer focal length to alleviate that problem. I could have also used a nozzle with compressed air like most engravers/cutters use, but those are expensive, big, and ugly with a very small work area.

The irony is I have a mirror as a beam stop ;D

Also, good idea with the pork flesh. I already have planned soon: Ice, cardboard, glass, and ceramic as well. Any other requests?

Waawaaweewahh, verryyy niceee.
That is insane. Love it... I need one. (need not want)

WahHK

Tooooo....... DANGEROUS!!!
Any IR goggles are useless, beware that not to cut your fingers :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's truly astounding! Way too much power for me, I'm sure I'd lose a finger or nine, plus an eye or two........ but damn that's fun to see in action! I'm very anxious to see the meat demo... it would give me a good visual reminder of why I, personally, wouldn't want one of those things available to me! :)

Happy zappin'! :)

D

I got a suggestion, put ir goggles in front of it to see if they block the beam ;D

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

dingle

Or rather to see how long it takes for them to vaporize...

Yea that is awesome man. Make some more videos Please! :D

Usually, ploy carb glasses block that deep IR. My 15 watt CO2 almost light up a coffee table when the unfocused beam got away !!!
These are impresive lasers but not for anyone not able to work with 20,000 + volts !!! I'm working on my new 40 watt as time permits.

Mike

Will do. I should have a couple more up by tomorrow.

wooooooolazer said:
I got a suggestion, put ir goggles in front of it to see if they block the beam ;D

Nothing special is needed for this wavelength. regular workshop safety glasses will be sufficient for at least a few seconds unless you sustain a direct blow, in which case you're incredibly stupid or very unlucky. I can do that, too. I have an extra pair of prescription glasses lyin' around somewhere.

I meant to see how fast they melt in front of that, how would regular saftey glasses block a 60w laser :-?

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Cy --

Are you using a ballast resistor at the tube? Like about 25 KOhms ??

Also, never test for output by passing your hand in front of the tube -- Bad idea :eek:

Mike

Why, have you tried it? I can turn it way down and put my hand in front of the beam. It feels a lot like any other laser burn.

Nope, I don't use a resistor. Do you have a schematic that suggests otherwise? Perhaps it's just for the smaller tubes.

wooooooolazer said:
how would regular saftey glasses block a 60w laser :-?

well, if you sit in front of the beam long enough, nothing will. They're only meant for a few seconds exposure max.

jayrob said:

No, the one I bought was from QAZ, but I haven't seen him list anything in quite some time. Also, I wouldn't trust those pumps.

WahHK

Asume the IR laser goggle can block 99% of IR......
For 100mW source, it can pass 1mW
For 60W source, it can pass 600mW !!!!!
Never be save for the eyes  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe wear 2 googles :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Mind if I ask how much that set ya back? Looks crazy ;D

Even with all extra materials and time I put into it, it was still Less than a Spyder II

WahHK said:
Asume the IR laser goggle can block 99% of IR.

That may be an accurate assumption for NEAR IR, but for mid IR, almost everything absorbs 100% of it. O[sub]2[/sub], N[sub]2[/sub], ZnSe, NaCl, and GaAs are probably the only relatively common materials that pass the wavelength well. That's why 10W of 10600nm will burn better than 10W of 808nm under most circumstances.