Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

60W CO2: Metals

Just screwin' around again. Made a few videos to share. All were done with a focused beam at 25mA. I first tried the 803t sled since I've heard they burn well, but at this wavelength it acts like a mirror. I just end up with a burnt brick :(

5.44MB

Attachments

• PHR-803t_sled.wmv
    5.4 MB · Views: 75

I had more luck with magnesium ribbon. The oxide layer may have played a part.

1.83MB

Attachments

• Mg_ribbon.wmv
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Lastly was Calcium which also had a heavy coating of oxidation, but still burned well. I still want to burn a camera while it's recording. Does anyone have an old camera that takes video they'd like to loan donate?  :eek: ;D

4.17MB

Attachments

• Ca.wmv
    4.2 MB · Views: 70
That's awesome! Good luck with the camera, you can rent one from cvs or something...

diachi

Cyparagon said:
Lastly was Calcium which also had a heavy coating of oxidation, but still burned well. I still want to burn a camera while it's recording. Does anyone have an old camera that takes video they'd like to loan donate?  :eek: ;D

4.17MB

Hmmm , might mail you my phone if/when I get a new one ::)

Nice vids ! ;)

Switch

Wow, in the phr video, was it really pointed at the sled? :eek:

Benm

The magnesium and caclium ones look very nice! I wonder what would happen with a bit of sodium - i reckon it'll be similar to the caclium but more violent, perhaps a bit dangerous to actually try.

I still want to burn a camera while it's recording.

I doubt the recording from the camera will be that interesting - i suppose the incoming beam might actually destroy the sensor within the first frame you record. This might also cause malfunction in saving the video to the memory card, resulting in nothing.

You could get a very cheap CCD camera from DX (the kind for spy/cctv with pal/ntsc video output) and connect that to a recording device. Something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19817 - perhaps they have even cheaper ones?

It'd melt the glass lens and whatever else is in the optical train first. I should get at least a few seconds of footage. :cool:

Switch: Yes, at the sled it was pointed. The lens is housed in the copper tube at the bottom of the frame. Since then, I've put a few holes in the sled. I put random bits of junk on the sled to facilitate burning (like a sharpie on a balloon). It didn't really ignite, so I didn't record it.

Benm

I suppose it will melt the glass... as long as it takes to conduct that heat to the sensor.

Still, the melting lens will be way out of focus, and give you nothing more than a white (or perhaps red or yellow) frame.

Had a chance for more. Drilling through 1/8 drill bit (3.6MB)

Attachments

• One_Eighth_Bit.wmv
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
Hemlock Mike said:
What lens did you use and was there some gas assist?

Mike

I just used my regular 7" FL. There was no gas assist. A nozzle is required for that. I did apply a small amount of cyanoacrylate to help absorb the heat (analogous to a sharpie on a match).