Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

600mw 520nm Sanwu Pocket.

Hey everyone,

I have finished my 520nm Sanwu Pocket build! There were some pretty big challenges that were overcome during the build. Firstly, due to the super small size of the pocket series host, I needed the most efficient high power 520nm diode I could find, from all of the diodes I could find it seemed like the NDG7475 would be the best. It may seem like a waste to put such a powerful diode in a small host and only give it 1A but in hosts this small, efficiency is too important.

The second major issue was the module needed for the pocket host, a standard 12mm module wouldn't work. I contacted sanwu to see if they had any pocket series modules that they were testing 9mm diodes in, they told me that they didn't and that it couldn't be done. I didn't my own measurements and found that the best way to do it would to be design a new module and get it machined for me. Luckily the member trinh hong phuoc was able to find the problems with my design and machine me a module! Trinh realy is the hero here, he(I assume) did so much work translating my terrible handwriting and bad design ideas, he even made me custom press tools for the module without me asking for them. I wouldn't expect this kind of service is a machine shop in the USA, if you have any custom work needs, ask trinh.

For the diver I used the ACS1500SE, this turned jut to be a mistake for a few reasons. The driver is slightly longer than the data sheet showed, I had to sand it down a lot and it still was a bit too long. EDIT: it turns out that this driver couldn't handle the 1A load, I ended up changing the driver to a flexdrive and am getting 1A easily.

I also had to shorten the lens barrel from the G8 lens to fit the pocket series host. I removed the lens from the barrel and cut about a 3rd of the barrel off, then reinstalled the lens. At first, I had thought that I had damaged the lens after trying it with me 405nm pocket series laser, it turns out that the threads on the 405nm module were a bit loose and were causing the lens to be slanted. On the custom module that trinh made had no such problems. One problem the module does have (this was my fault) is that the focus adapter from the pocket host will not screw down completely flush, I designed the front side of the module to be a bit too long, one day I will sand it down but I am worried about getting dust on the diode window.

After a bit of struggle I got everything put together and, WOW! This thing is so bright for how small it is. Even in a bright room the beam is clearly visible. I am extremely happy with this build. It ebend up costing more than I was planning but I'm not too worried since this buold was such a success.

I want too thank the members of the forums who put up with my nooby questions. These include DTR, Miya, lifetime, GSS, Paul, Red Cowboy and of course Trinh. I am sure that I forgot someone but know that I appreciate your help.

link to the custom module post.

20190327_232048.jpg20190327_232134.jpg

Last edited:

things quickly ,Thankfully everything went smoothly, I'm still curious to see the images inside, anyway, this is a great building.

Inside isnt super pretty. It was tough fitting the driver in there. What did you want to see specifically?

GSS

Kudos:) I love it when someones plans works out and they figure out the bugs!
Super surprised how fast you and trinh worked together;)(y)

Kudos:) I love it when someones plans works out and they figure out the bugs!
Super surprised how fast you and trinh worked together;)(y)
Trinh was a champion. He managed to machine two revisions in 1 day and get it shipped to me within 2 days of contact.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good job, that's a sweet looking Sanwu Pocket mod you've made; I love these small pen builds, not the most practical, but they sure are a lot of fun! :)

PS - Nice job on that module, trinh!

Wow! I have never seen anyone try to put this diode in such a small host. These are stainless steel too, so not the best heat sink either. I can imagine how surprised one would get when this laser is first turned on. Great job putting this together.

GSS

I would think just taking the beam pic was it as far as duty cycle.:)
It's a brass module in the steel host as well. 5 seconds of fun though!

I can get about 10 secomds before it gets too hot. That's ok though. Heat transfer to the host is very good. It is a super fun little laser, I don't ever do any burning so a shot duty cycle isn't an issue. Super fun to use for quick beam time.

That little guy is awesome. And here I thought my 490nm AAA build was a PITA. Well done!

hard work on laser and works ! cool laser. I though you need the thermal paste for head dissipating from the laser.