Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED

Re: 6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

send him a paypal invoice...

Coby

Lol, it's that simple? This is my first time selling something online...

Edit: What's the difference between sending him an invoice and requesting money? I mean, what's the most safe method :p

Last edited:

You could ask that he send the money as a gift but I don't suggest it.

That would mean he would not be able to open a dispute but it also means you have no seller protection. It recently happened that someone received payment as a gift then buyer reported that his account had been hacked, seller had no protection and lost the money. I don't think there is any fool-proof way to beat a scammer.

You could take a video of the laser working while showing the date and time and have him state that he understands the laser is used and he is buying it "as-is" with no guatantee or waranty. Explain that the laser works fine but you need to protect yourself from getting scammed.

You could also offer to ship it insured incase it gets damaged during shipping and have him acknowldge that declining shipping insurance makes him responsible for any shipping damage.

If you have a video of it working when you put it in the box and a statement from him that he is buying it with out a waranty or any guarantee I would think you would win any dispute he may file with paypal.

Last edited:

Coby

Ok that's clear, thanks for the info!

Is it enough if I only discuss this in PMs with him? I'll save all our conversations.
He already requested that I take a movie of the laser working so this evening when I get home that's the first thing I'll do. Thanks for mentioning that I should mention the date in the movie.

Just be careful with saying it is a "laser" on paypal. Paypal does not support the sales of lasers.

Really no way to beat a scammer 100% of the time. Normally I ask for payment to be sent to me, and that's basically it. I don't sell that many lasers though.

Also make sure he is aware which way the battery goes in.

Blord

Because you both are in the same country do the money transfer by the bank. It is safe and the transfer is free of charge.

Coby

Because you both are in the same country do the money transfer by the bank. It is safe and the transfer is free of charge.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? :) That's a great idea, Blord!

Blord

Since the last scammer took my money and PayPal was helping him, I really dislike the use of it. I would look for other means of payment if it is possible.
In the EU the banktransfer is free of charge by regulation. Far better than the Paypal fee of 4%.

JLM

If you accept returns and specify that the buyer is responsible to pay return shipping with tracking, PayPal will wait for the returned item before subtract the money and refund. If you don’t accept returns PayPal will take your money and refund the guy and you can’t make anything to take your laser back or the money. Also if you sell lasers as Laboratory Equipment or for "parts or repair", you will be covered.

Last edited:

Thanks for this sticky, it's amazing how trusting some people can be:whistle:

My Bank does not do xfers for free :/

I read very seriously recommend you give thank you dear~~

I read very seriously recommend you give thank you dear~~

You will need to read the date of the last post before
digging up an old post with nothing useful to add.

It is called necroposting and is frowned upon by the
Forum community....

Jerry

not sure if this is the right place, but generally when you buy something how long would you wait before freaking out that the seller hasnt responded to you sense payment was received and he has been on multiple times sense...
thanks and cheers!

Absolutely zero communications? 2 weeks.

Sometimes things come up. Like I was supposed to ship out a package monday, but have been pulling 10-14 hour days and haven't had time to go to post office all week :( I'm not hiding that fact though.

yeah its only been a few days but i sent some pm's and posted in his thread but nada and hes been on a bunch sense then. Ill give it a while more though, just curious to see what you guys thought.