Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6.5W Maglite Laser

Hey, I have finished building my most powerful laser yet, and I would like to thank Jayrob and DTR for their hard work.:thanks:

I have made a video review for this laser, but I will be adding more pics and text info tomorrow because its late:tired:
Here is the link for the video just in case the other one doesn't work: https://youtu.be/WrAc63Mu0b8

Also, the part about the solder is a good tip. I had to mute that part because I yelled right next to the camera:crackup:

Specs:
Diode: NUBM44
Host: Maglite
Driver: SXD set to 4.5A
Batteries: 2x Feilong 32650
Lens: G2

Pics: (will be adding more tomorrow):tired:

20160721_173325_zpsnbbwz4gy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20160721_173231_zpscvqx0xih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20160721_173043_zpsdo1sbvf3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20160721_172956_zpsbkpu0cmx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Sta

Nice video! Makes me want to buy a maglite instead of gutting my S4X. +rep! :)

Nice video! Makes me want to buy a maglite instead of gutting my S4X. +rep! :)

It's really worth it! It handles the heat like a boss, and it feels like you're carrying around a police baton:D

94Z28

Looks great. I am in the process of building the exact same setup as you have now. Which paste did you use for your driver?

Hi Phil,
I but them before and modded al the parts and have threads on how to do it . Any way why did you use an X Drive? Do you mean SXD because the X Dive only sets to 2.4A's to were the SXD sets from 1.8 to 5.2A's and has a ramp up feature from 3 to 9 milliseconds . See pics i have more builds but you get the picture . Did you thermal epoxy the driver to the battery tube or did Jrob do that for you??

@ 94,
Thats Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive on the driver the best and for the CU diode module i use Arctic thermal compound on all my builds.

Rich:)

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hi Phil,
I but them before and modded al the parts and have threads on how to do it . Any way why did you use an X Drive? Do you mean SXD because the X Dive only sets to 2.4A's to were the SXD sets from 1.8 to 5.2A's and has a ramp up feature from 3 to 9 milliseconds . See pics i have more builds but you get the picture . Did you thermal epoxy the driver to the battery tube or did Jrob do that for you??

@ 94,
Thats Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive on the driver the best and for the CU diode module i use Arctic thermal compound on all my builds.

Rich:)

Sorry, I didn't catch that. It is a SXD, and I got the hot option, so he put it on for me. He also added a heat-sink that fits the curve of the host.

Hi,
I thought so The SXD is a great driver as of all the others Angelos builds second to none . Wish there were more like these he hasn't been on the forum for a long time now just hope even thing is ok with him. The last time we talked was when i had o big order for drivers and when he built me a 675nm labby. after that no replies..

Hi,
I thought so The SXD is a great driver as of all the others Angelos builds second to none . Wish there were more like these he hasn't been on the forum for a long time now just hope even thing is ok with him. The last time we talked was when i had o big order for drivers and when he built me a 675nm labby. after that no replies..

That's too bad:cryyy: I never bought anything from him, so I wouldn't know what happened.

Pman

Congrats. I've got both 2D and 2C mags both heatsink ready for building that I've had for at least a year plus a couple othe large hosts but haven't pulled the trigger yet for the builds.

Congrats. I've got both 2D and 2C mags both heatsink ready for building that I've had for at least a year plus a couple othe large hosts but haven't pulled the trigger yet for the builds.

That sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun:D
I can't wait to see what you decide to do

Pman

I actually ran into something useful for burning where it would be faster to use a 44 instead of one of my 7875 3W+ builds (and don't want to take the chance of blowing a 6W 07E so I might finally pull the trigger on a 44.
I meant that I already have heatsink for 5 larger powerful builds so all I need is the expensive rest of the parts. Ill have to take a couple pics to show what I'm using it for.
Oh, the other thing is when I had Ehgemus make sinks for the 2 mags the "C" mag has a larger sink than the D which was surprising.

Last edited:
I actually ran into something useful for burning where it would be faster to use a 44 instead of one of my 7875 3W+ builds (and don't want to take the chance of blowing a 6W 07E so I might finally pull the trigger on a 44.
I meant that I already have heatsink for 5 larger powerful builds so all I need is the expensive rest of the parts. Ill have to take a couple pics to show what I'm using it for.
Oh, the other thing is when I had Ehgemus make sinks for the 2 mags the "C" mag has a larger sink than the D which was surprising.

WHAT?!? If I would've known that earlier, I would've gone with the "C" mag. Well, too late now:crackup:

Actually, Never mind, because the driver should only be run for a max of 2 minutes straight. And by then, the heatsink/diode aren't really that hot. So, getting a "C" mag wouldn't change my duty cycle.

Eracoy

It's a lovely build. I have two Maglite builds myself with a 1.4W 520 in copper and 5W 465 in aluminum. Both handle the heat pretty well. I would almost worry about the driver before the diode on these builds, but I can thoroughly recommend the concept.

Pman

It is weird. I was looking at the winks today again and I would say the c-mag one is at least a 25% deeper. I keep going back and forth on either buying another 07E or a 44. I realized I have a blue Mag too. I have silver, black, blue and a greyish blue color in D and just a black in C. Only one heat sink each for a D or C though. The one drawback of the C build is lower battery capacity but that only matters depending upon use as there are plenty of batteries that can handle the load.

Last edited: