Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5W 488nm OPSL

Howdy neighbor!

Around the holidays I got an ebay alert for a listing with this image. 7w 488? OPSL?? Sign me up!

After some talking with the seller, he also had a spare driver he was willing to sell me which is half the battle with these OPSL heads... and collimator... and high quality TECs... seriously, he went above and beyond with helping me get set up. 100% will buy from him again and would recommend anybody looking for a similar head to check out his store. Ultimately the driver I went with is a lightline cohlibri:

This monitors temp sensors and adjusts TECs and fan speeds to maintain 40/40/25C temps. This can be driven at a max current of 40A, and you can read this as 75% = 30A. This is lower than the 35A used to get 7W output, so instead I am just getting the rated 5W out which is more than enough and better for lifespan anyway.

After some adjustments to the setup I had finally gotten to a comfortable point to fire it up. Set up an aiming beam and gave it power for the first time - what I got was truly stunning.

So that makes this my second genesis OPSL:

And also my second multi watt cyan:

In that last image you may have noticed the divergence is about on par with the bad side of the 484nm multimode diode. Unfortunately, it is true, though I suspect it is also the collimator. If anybody knows if there's a beam expander made for the genesis heads or collimators, let me know! I know kvant offers a 5mm collimator which is likely for better divergence. Still, at 15 feet it's not terrible:

Anyway, have a couple more pics and a link to the album!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Excellent addition to your collection. Great pics also, thanks for sharing.
That's a cyan dream.

That's one hell of a laser. That beam is incredible - it makes the diode look like sh*t.

tmoney321

That first picture of your window is great. 488nm is such a pleasing color. Quite a setup.