Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5W 07E 471nm? build

Pman

Well since the weakest filter I have coming will knock the output down to 1/100th I think I will be OK.
I know the coatings are not supposed to affect the wavelength but my head has a hard time getting around it. The closer the coating color is to the wavelength I would expect more reflection back.

My curiosity over this lens coating thing had me look up what the deal is and I found this interesting article:
All About Lens Coatings

DTR has the sxd-v3 adjustable right now so I ordered a couple. He said they are around 5.3A max but of course that can vary so I'll be testing both to see which one goes higher. In general I prefer to make my own adjustments.

Last edited:

Pman

The stuff was supposed to arrive today from Amazon but got a delayed delivery notice at 4 this afternoon and still shows its coming tonight but that's not going to happen so hopefully I'll get the filters and stuff tomorrow. I have noticed since Amazon changed their delivery methods to include the usps they are having issues at times getting their stuff delivered in the 2 days promised for Amazon prime customers. Annoying but not unexpected. In general if you complain to them about it you can get a free months extension on your membership. Technically it's not their fault if they get the stuff shipped but like I said they will offer something if you complain about it.

Pman

OK well the ratings on those filters obviously don't mean what I thought they did as even the darkest ND8 drops a 1.8W laser to 150mW and they are plastic so of course they start to burn immediately:( Didn't realize they were plastic so I need glass and I need to research what rating is correct. Afraid I'm going to run into too much expense.

All that power has to go somewhere, what amazes me is how the phosphor coated polymer wheel in projectors can stand up to the power, it must have an efficient conversion.

Pman, I'd just use goggles, a camera and a diffraction grating. No need for filters.

Pman

Well I'm done for today but I did also get the 2 SXD-V3 adjustable drivers I ordered so I'll probably test them tomorrow to see which has a higher output at max.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
OK well the ratings on those filters obviously don't mean what I thought they did as even the darkest ND8 drops a 1.8W laser to 150mW and they are plastic so of course they start to burn immediately Didn't realize they were plastic so I need glass and I need to research what rating is correct. Afraid I'm going to run into too much expense.

I wondered why you managed to get those filters for so cheap. The ones I sent you the links for were the glass filters.
I hope you get this resolved.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I am not surprised, they are meant to absorb and with that much power, they are bound to burn.