Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5W 07E 471nm? build

Pman

Thanks. I'm certainly wondering what wavelength it is as it appears to be over 473nm. I need to make sure that the one at 5.5A has fully charged cells and look at that one compared to the new one I just built as I sure didn't expect this one to have a higher wavelength.
Ugh, I havent figured out my email login yet:( I knew I should have written all my passwords on something as that desktop was old.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm going to take a pot guess and put it at 475nm. It would be great if it could be spectro'd by someone. :)

Pman

Well it looks like way more green in it than my actual Jet 80mW 473nm. Hard to do a comparison though when you are dealing with a 5W difference in output. I had called it 471 just because of what Jordan shows on his site at 5A but that can't be right. Probably is more like 473nm or more. Have to do more comparison tests.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If you ever do get a reading or do a comparison, let me know. Do you have anything around that diffuses, as that sometimes helps to get an idea of colour.

Nice work Pman! If your computer can be set to boot from USB in the bios settings, you could burn a live linux flashdrive and many times Windows will show up as a folder from linux. But you said it's fried so I'm not sure that would work.

Your other option is to pull the hard drive and attempt to rescue it from another PC. But you would need help from an expert in your area to do that. Good luck! :beer:

Wells I got the comparison pics up and it was quite surprising to see that the new one has more green in it than the one pushed the hardest. You just never know what you are going to get.

My desktop is fried. Unfortunately everything was on it such as my email password and all my other passwords and I'm not going to remember what they all are. The hard drive works and I have it connected with a USB cord with an adapter to my old laptop. Anyone have any idea how I can find what my email login was from the drive or any other passwords for that matter? PM me. I'm kind of desperate to be honest as I need the emails. It has xp on it.

The heat sink came from Ehg I think when he was selling them or maybe it was Moh. Have one more left for the 44 I have coming. That one is the screw down back half type.

Fantastic, this one looks more like the usual 488nm pics than ~470nm. It's hard to take a proper measurement, but you can compare wavelengths easily with a diffraction grating or one of those cheap portable spectroscopes from ebay ($30). All you do is shine both lasers on the same spot on a wall and look at the dot through the grating. Of course with 5W it might be better to take a picture ;)

Well it looks like way more green in it than my actual Jet 80mW 473nm. Hard to do a comparison though when you are dealing with a 5W difference in output. I had called it 471 just because of what Jordan shows on his site at 5A but that can't be right. Probably is more like 473nm or more. Have to do more comparison tests.
Fantastic, this one looks more like the usual 488nm pics than ~470nm. It's hard to take a proper measurement, but you can compare wavelengths easily with a diffraction grating or one of those cheap portable spectroscopes from ebay ($30). All you do is shine both lasers on the same spot on a wall and look at the dot through the grating. Of course with 5W it might be better to take a picture ;)

Another simple(ish) method that you could use if you have a optic fiber would be to point the lasers at the fiber "input" and defocus the more powerful laser so that less light enters the fiber. Then you can view the light going out the other end of the fiber with a diffraction grating and either visually estimate the wavelength or use a high resolution camera to take a picture and count the pixels to get a better wavelength calculation. Additionally, you could add a third higher wavelength like 532nm to ensure that the calculated wavelength is more accurate.

473nm DPSS and 488nm (gas) would really be the best for reference wavelengths, although it doesn't look like you have an argon-ion.

Last edited:

Pman

My pc is shot so I'm back to using my old 17" Dell laptop with xp and a netbook that has windows 10 on it. The netbook is faster and I did figure out my email and account stuff so I'm OK. It just stinks not having a main desktop now as the portables are a bit more of a pain to work with.
I think I have a difraction grating that styro had given me so I'll take a look at it. I'm sure I can come up with something to split the beam to try but the Jet 473nm has a nice thin beam too. I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow. I've been feeling pretty crappy for the last few days so motivaton goes out the window. Reality is I have a lot of lasers that don't match the others of their wavelength so it would be really something to figure them out.
I really do appreciate all the help guys and try to find ways to give back. I'm sure seeing some of the same shots over and over isn't the most exciting thing either so don't think I don't realize that either. It does help keep things a bit consistent though. I spent a bunch of time rearranging all of them during my photo shoot of all the wavelengths together so it's now a bit easier to find specific lasers. Before I did that they were all mixed up and I would sometimes have to open every case to find a particular unit.
If anyone has any other advice on figuring out the wavelengths let me know. I really don't like the idea of sending them off somewhere to be honest. Just how accurate is using a cheap difraction grating anyways?

Pman

OK, I don't get the difraction grating thing as how is it supposed to help if there's nothing to tell me what wavelengths the colors are to begin with? Someone send me a link or links as to what exactly I need to buy from eBay or whatever that won't cost much so I can try and figure some of this out better. I realize its going to be a rough estimate but I would have a hard time sending them off to someone. What should I be reading to know exactly what to do? I would appreciate links rather than just saying look up ........... I'm seriously thinking about pushing that 5A one harder like I did with the 5.5A one to see how far the wavelength will go but I would need to see if DTR has an adjustable sxd-v3 still as I only see the pre-set ones on his site. I could just drive it with one of my power supplies but I think I would rather just set the driver to max and let her rip (hopefully not R.I.P).

OK, I don't get the difraction grating thing as how is it supposed to help if there's nothing to tell me what wavelengths the colors are to begin with? Someone send me a link or links as to what exactly I need to buy from eBay or whatever that won't cost much so I can try and figure some of this out better. I realize its going to be a rough estimate but I would have a hard time sending them off to someone. What should I be reading to know exactly what to do? I would appreciate links rather than just saying look up ........... I'm seriously thinking about pushing that 5A one harder like I did with the 5.5A one to see how far the wavelength will go but I would need to see if DTR has an adjustable sxd-v3 still as I only see the pre-set ones on his site. I could just drive it with one of my power supplies but I think I would rather just set the driver to max and let her rip (hopefully not R.I.P).

You need a laser of known wavelength to estimate another lasers wavelength. Have you ever visited SAM'S LASER FAQ. As I recall you'll learn how to do what you want to do there. I also recall that a CD can be used. I think a ruler is helpful in the determination process. What interests me more than the build is the optics used. Without optics a laser is only a fancy flashlight. Could you take a moment and tell us about the optics?

Last edited:

Pman

The optics are nothing more interesting than a standard legit G2 or 3 element. I have a 473nm Jetlaser at around 80mW so having a laser to compare them to is not an issue. My question is people kind of make it ound as if it is easy to get a good estimation on the wavelength using a simple difraction grating and I just don't see it. If it was so good and inexpensive I would expect most members to be doing it. A simple way of going about getting a pretty nice beam is using a beam expander. I have a couple as in 2x and 5x Dragon laser ones with adapters plus a 3x on the way from Sanwu with adapter but in general I only use them when I'm messing around as in I don't specifically buy one for each laser like some do.

The optics are nothing more interesting than a standard legit G2 or 3 element. I have a 473nm Jetlaser at around 80mW so having a laser to compare them to is not an issue. My question is people kind of make it ound as if it is easy to get a good estimation on the wavelength using a simple difraction grating and I just don't see it. If it was so good and inexpensive I would expect most members to be doing it. A simple way of going about getting a pretty nice beam is using a beam expander. I have a couple as in 2x and 5x Dragon laser ones with adapters plus a 3x on the way from Sanwu with adapter but in general I only use them when I'm messing around as in I don't specifically buy one for each laser like some do.

Visit Sam's laser FAQ. Without a spectrometer it is a good way. Do members have compelling reasons to know with some precision what the wavelengths are? Probably not if not many are doing it.

Last edited:
It's not easy to accurately measure wavelength using a grating, but it's easier to compare two lasers and determine the one with higher wavelength, and have a rough idea if the difference is great or small.

Point both lasers at the same exact spot on a wall (use tripods so they won't move). Place a linear grating in front of your eye and look at the dot through it. You will see a bright central dot and successive pairs of less bright dots to either side. Turn one laser off, if the dot that disappeared was closer to the central dot you have just turned off the lower wavelength laser. Like this:
diagram.png

Pman

Thanks a bunch for that Atom. That sounds like an easy reasonable test to do with my 473nm Jet as the reference. Amazon is still showing Sunday delivery for the gratings and filters so hopefully I will at least be able to see how the 3 07 builds compare.
Don't know if this is a stupid question or not but I've always wondered about the coatings on different lenses and if they affect the wavelength in any way. Curious to see what happens between a G2 and both 3 elements.

Coatings don't affect wavelength, but they might have better transmittance for certain wl's.

One thing to note if you're doing this grating test with high power lasers is that you might want to wear your goggles and take pictures with the grating in front of the camera instead if looking at the 5W dot ;)