Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mw red

caleb

would this pass aus customs http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7124
and is it 5mw?
also, how do i change the contents description, such as, 'class 2 laser product' as they are still legal and im sure this laser is less than calss 2.
edit: what are the advantages/disadvantages of using registered airmail?

If I remember correctly, the australian rules say it has to be under 1mW in a pointer. Something crazy like that. That being said, I'm sure that will pass into customs without a problem.

caleb

i thought it was anything above 3b, and i think 5mw is where 3b starts isnt it, or 2mw maybe seeing as 1mw 532nm are legal.
also, for an astronomy laser would it be possible to make a 100mw 532nm have a 1mw output, becuase you could somehow make the beam realy fat and 'visible'???

Nope, it's anything above 3a that's illegal. Pretty stupid really, 1mW green can do more damage to a plane than 5mW red, since it's so much brighter.

Why would making the beam fat give it a different output? Output isn't done per beam cross section area or anything...

I'm pretty sure any pointer over 1mW is illegal, so I wouldn't buy that if I were you.

styropyro said:
I'm pretty sure any pointer over 1mW is illegal, so I wouldn't buy that if I were you.

To clarify, any pointer over 1mW IS illegal.

caleb

Rangedunits said:
That thing sucks don't spend 3$ on that shit.
yeh i agree
although., for the price i could order 100 of them and get 50 peoplle to point them at the same car or aeroplane seeing as i dont give a shite if it get reported, besides, whats worse they can do...

Murudai said:
Why would making the beam fat give it a different output? Output isn't done per beam cross section area or anything...

well, how do they make 1mw lasers so good for astronomy, iv never seen one but according to the aust. govt. the beam is completely vissible. more vissible than my <5w (probably 2-3mw)

but if you make the beam realy thin it would have all its energy focused on about 1mm. but if you manage to make the beam straight ant thick, say 5mm, it would be more vissible but the dot would be less concentrated i guess. giving it 1mw. but i might not understand how a power meter works so...