Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

575nm OPT Laser Handheld Build

I was lucky enough to get two of the 575nm OPT modules that were briefly available, one of which I killed :mad: and the second I was able to retrofit into a handheld unit :yh: its driven with a SXD-V3 set to 1.8a powered with two 16340 batteries. Unfortunately the color comes out green on in my pics but it is a lemon yellow color in person.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 96

Nice. I wanted to do the same, but my driver from survival laser never came, lost in the mail and he didn't put tracking on it! I still want to do the same thing myself. Trinh, I have not seen a camera which will pick up the yellow color of 575 yet.

Yes, perhaps too hard to show exactly, I've looked at the spectrum and also visualized 575nm wavelength

I was lucky enough to get two of the 575nm OPT modules that were briefly available, one of which I killed :mad: and the second I was able to retrofit into a handheld unit :yh: its driven with a SXD-V3 set to 1.8a powered with two 16340 batteries. Unfortunately the color comes out green on in my pics but it is a lemon yellow color in person.

Since you have a useless module it would be interesting to use the crystal for experimentation. We all are still wondering what type of crystal is used.

Since you have a useless module it would be interesting to use the crystal for experimentation. We all are still wondering what type of crystal is used.

I have actually tried getting it working again, the mount that holds the crystal looks like its actually held in place with what looks like hot glue. What happened was I tried adjusting the lens and it became stuck and was very out of focus so I machined off the face of the section that holds the lens in a lathe until I was able to better grip the lens. I believe the module got warm enough to soften the glue that held the crystal in place so it shifted during the machining. in the process of tearing the module down I killed the diode with ESD so I replaced it with a 4W 980nm C-mount diode and was getting strange outputs. lots of mode shifting and shifting in color as well. I would shift between 575nm and what looked like 589nm. In the process of playing around I burned the face of the crystal so now its completely dead :cryyy:

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 35
No one has been able to take a photo of that wavelength I know of yet and come out correct, always green. Tomos, where did you get the parts to build that host? Interesting you put a window on the driver.

The handle was just a ThorII host I machined down to get rid of the tactical look. The clear section is cast polyurethane resin I machined to accept the handle and heat sink. 80% of it I machined from stock material. The clear section was also to separate the handle from the module since the diode is case positive and the drive is powered using the case positive characteristic of the handle.

I have actually tried getting it working again, the mount that holds the crystal looks like its actually held in place with what looks like hot glue. What happened was I tried adjusting the lens and it became stuck and was very out of focus so I machined off the face of the section that holds the lens in a lathe until I was able to better grip the lens. I believe the module got warm enough to soften the glue that held the crystal in place so it shifted during the machining. in the process of tearing the module down I killed the diode with ESD so I replaced it with a 4W 980nm C-mount diode and was getting strange outputs. lots of mode shifting and shifting in color as well. I would shift between 575nm and what looked like 589nm. In the process of playing around I burned the face of the crystal so now its completely dead :cryyy:

Have you read through this thread? https://laserpointerforums.com/f54/recent-advances-self-frequency-doubling-crystals-103174.html
Two of is suspect the crystal in question might be a
yb: yab

Glad to see you got one of these into a handheld unit. Since the module is case positive, I expect you had to isolate it to get it to work with the SXD driver. Too bad about the other one. I doubt you could have improved the focus as these are set at Opt Laser for best collimation. Now they are out of stock for who knows how long. Does your heat sink get warm after it is on for a few minutes? I noticed in the lab host that these modules didn't even get warm at current above 2 amps and run times exceeding 5 minutes.

Glad to see you got one of these into a handheld unit. Since the module is case positive, I expect you had to isolate it to get it to work with the SXD driver. Too bad about the other one. I doubt you could have improved the focus as these are set at Opt Laser for best collimation. Now they are out of stock for who knows how long. Does your heat sink get warm after it is on for a few minutes? I noticed in the lab host that these modules didn't even get warm at current above 2 amps and run times exceeding 5 minutes.

The heat sink doesn’t get very warm, hardly noticeable, but the driver does generate some heat so I usually don’t run it too long.

That driver doesn't need heat sinking at 1.8 amps, so since you did heat sink it, I wouldn't worry about the driver. It has thermal protection and will shut off if it overheats. You should be able to run this for as long as you like with respect to the driver, but I would be concerned about the module overheating in a handheld unit.

kecked

I ha$ the fortune to see a nice Ar/Kr over the weekend. The 565line indeed matches the Kr yellow perfectly.

I was one of the first to pay for one of each plus $hip--nothing but excuses -->a year ago--WTF Freeman??