Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw O-Like green question

I recently got this:

Ultrafire host portable green laser /outdoor hunting [OLUGL50] - $36.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

50mw green from O-like. I was not aware that they did not come with chargers like my red did. According to the website it lists working voltage as 3.6v, requiring CR123A batteries. I have not been able to find CR123"A" batteries anywhere. The "CR123A" batteries I find have that came with it have 3.6v printed on the side and all of the "CR123" have 3V posted on the side and they don't seem to work. Does anyone know a brick an mortar place where I can find the "A"s. Also, this laser did not come with an instruction sheet what is the polarity direction I load the batteries?

The "CR123A" batteries I find have that came with it have 3.6v printed on the side ... Also, this laser did not come with an instruction sheet what is the polarity direction I load the batteries?
What are you saying, that the supplied CR123A is discharged?

Almost all 532nm DPSS modules (green lasers) are case positive which means the plus side of the battery is facing the bottom/ back-end of the host.

I cannot promise you that this is the case with your laser and placing it in the wrong direction can kill the driver (if it's cheap enough).

EDIT
You can get a charger at Deal Extreme but it will take a few weeks to get it... here is only one of many possible chargers, look around a bit more.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! The battery it came with is a CR123A "Ultrafire 16340" Li-Ion rechargable 3.6v 880mAh. I put it in case positive and it did not work so either the diode is bad, it is discharged, or the polarity is swapped, but I don't want to put it in the other way and find out that I destroyed it over a dead battery. I tried putting a new "CR123 3v 1400mAh" in it also case positive and it did not work. I don't have a multimeter to test the voltage of the CR123 or to tell if the one it came with was dead.

Last edited:
I tried putting a new "CR123 3v 1400mAh" in it also case positive and it did not work. I don't have a multimeter to test the voltage...
You can get DMM for like $15 at any Hardware store; I suggest it would be a wise investment... .

A charged CR123 3V will normally also power the module, just not at specified output levels. It sounds to me like you got a defective laser, but the only way to be certain is to measure your batteries with a DMM... :undecided:

EDIT: Be aware that often the host sections are not screwed together properly or due to dirt, do not properly conduct the positive side of the circuit. Unscrew the sections, make sure they are clean (particularly the mating surfaces), screw the host back together. Don't laugh, but sometimes unscrewing a part just a bit completes the connection as well... go figure.

Last edited:
Update: This laser is case NEGATIVE it works fine with the battery in with the "+" end pointed in the direction of the tail cap.

Chargers are no problem to find, you can look up the chargers on Ebay, or Deal extreme, if you still don't find it, then you certainly will find it with searching on google.

btw, CR123A is a primary cell. It is not rechargeable, and its potential is 3V.

a Lithium Ion 16340 cell is the same size as a CR123A primary cell, but it is rechargeable, and is Li-Ion chemistry (so voltage is maximum 4.2V, minimum 2.6V). These are also sometimes referred to as RCR123A (Rechargeable CR123A).

Digger

lowe's sells surefire CR123A batteries pretty cheap. I have the same green laser and I use the surefire batteries in mine. They work great and last for a long time