Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW 589nm Spartan, Mellow Yellow

CE5

@Radim :D The sale for the entire lot, was in motion before you shared the pic of your wonderful art piece. But we still do appreciate that you felt moved to contribute to the process. Perhaps when Atlas87, has some time to spare he will mark this entire listing as 'sold'.
And going forward, I will make efforts to determine if the 589, is part of the multiline batch. Although since this is all new to me, I may require assistance with the testing procedures required to observe if that feature is present.

Radim

@Radim :D The sale for the entire lot, was in motion before you shared the pic of your wonderful art piece. But we still do appreciate that you felt moved to contribute to the process. Perhaps when Atlas87, has some time to spare he will mark this entire listing as 'sold'.
And going forward, I will make efforts to determine if the 589, is part of the multiline batch. Although since this is all new to me, I may require assistance with the testing procedures required to observe if that feature is present.

Oh, I did not notice. :D Congratulations than!

It was needed to cool it down like 7 deg. Celsius if I remember well. There was a thread about that. You may than observe it by eye or better to use diffraction grating (even CD or DVD works as reflection grating) or prism (might be better) to project dot on wall for observstion. The best is spectrometer. If you use grating it might be tricky - you need to differ if it is different order interference maximum of original wavelength or the multiline (projection on distant wall should make it more clear) - as Spartan should change temperature the change of pattern should occur (the dots close to any maxmum selected). Also there might be further effects involved (reflection inside grating itself creating the dots - however these should be static more less). Just spread the laser spectrum somehow (like you do rainbow with prism for example). ;)

Also be careful it is not healthy for the laser - humidity, thermal shock... Make sure it heats up slowly and does not run long as there might be significant temperatute differences causing laser to misalign a bit or crack the crystals. Still no troubles were reported and I used Spartan in winter without problems (I kept it wrapped to keep the heat).

Last edited:
0214171457b1_zpsb7bvgktf.jpg

Here are the lines mine showed during the brief period of time I had it.

And HERE is the thread on the multiline 589's

Last edited:
0214171457b1_zpsb7bvgktf.jpg

Here are the lines mine showed during the brief period of time I had it.

This isn't that unusual. I've seen this before now. These can apparently have multiple lines. It seems be be dependent on temperature. Of course you can only see it with a diffraction grating or a spectrometer.

Last edited:

CE5

Hopefully they'll find a nice home where they can be admired.

@Atlas87, it was an honor and a pleasure doing this deal with you.
I will do my best to curate these fine instruments while in my care.
And I would also like to add for anyone else that is fortunate enough, to have an opportunity to do business with Atlas87, do not hem, haw, hesitate or otherwise drop the ball!
I'm testifying, you will be hard pressed to find a more honorable, stand up guy like Atlas87, either here on LPF, or anywhere else for that matter. Again, Muchas Gracias mi Amigo!

Oh, I did not notice. :D Congratulations than!

It was needed to cool it down like 7 deg. Celsius if I remember well. There was a thread about that. You may than observe it by eye or better to use diffraction grating (even CD or DVD works as reflection grating) or prism (might be better) to project dot on wall for observstion. The best is spectrometer. If you use grating it might be tricky - you need to differ if it is different order interference maximum of original wavelength or the multiline (projection on distant wall should make it more clear) - as Spartan should change temperature the change of pattern should occur (the dots close to any maxmum selected). Also there might be further effects involved (reflection inside grating itself creating the dots - however these should be static more less). Just spread the laser spectrum somehow (like you do rainbow with prism for example). ;)

Also be careful it is not healthy for the laser - humidity, thermal shock... Make sure it heats up slowly and does not run long as there might be significant temperatute differences causing laser to misalign a bit or crack the crystals. Still no troubles were reported and I used Spartan in winter without problems (I kept it wrapped to keep the heat).

@Radim & CynicalBrad, WOW! you guys Rock. Thanks so much!
I'll make an effort to contribute to the referenced 589 thread, when I get it together.

Peace

Radim

And I would also like to add for anyone else that is fortunate enough, to have an opportunity to do business with Atlas87, do not hem, haw, hesitate or otherwise drop the ball!
I'm testifying, you will be hard pressed to find a more honorable, stand up guy like Atlas87, either here on LPF, or anywhere else for that matter. Again, Muchas Gracias mi Amigo!

I'll make an effort to contribute to the referenced 589 thread, when I get it together.

Peace

You are welcome. ;)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/583-8nm-589nm-golden-brothers-99250.html

This is the thread I found in the times my Spartan was just ordered. I was hoping to get this multiline unit as well. The thread Brad posted appeared later when Spartan was home and many others reported that this batch is multiline (if I'm not wrong earlier versions did not have that as this behaviour was not reported). During winter I observed clearly some color change occasionally when laser was cold, still I kept it warm to make sure it is stable and in operating temperatures and not allow humidity condensating due to temperature diferences between laser components. However I did not examinate it in depth (it is me, some things I know how to do, it is easy, but I leave them as unanswered questions for later - like unwrapped present).

Good luck with your sale, Atlas.

For potential buyer of the Spartan: You can see how the beam looks like in my artworks. All yellow beams are my Spartan. An awesome laser. Jewel of my collection. Worth to get.

Here for example:

For artwork click on the image or link is in my current signature as well - Soul in the Surreal world.

Peace

@Radim Thank you! @CE5 was the lucky customer! @Radim thanks for sharing that laser art! It a pure eyegasm :drool: I hope to have enough laser tech in the future to have that kind of fun.
@CE5 thank you for the kind words, It was a pleasure and I'm a man of my word :D I really hope you enjoy the lasers. Glad they made it there safe, I had an "OCD" moment when I packaged them up. I look forward to some future pictures and if you can get more info on your new spartan. That would be rad if it was one of the freak Spartans. I'm already missing my lasers :cryyy: so maybe Ill be back sooner than later.

Thank you everyone for your interests! Happy Lasing and Happy 4th!!

Radim

@Radim Thank you! @CE5 was the lucky customer! @Radim thanks for sharing that laser art! It a pure eyegasm :drool: I hope to have enough laser tech in the future to have that kind of fun.
@CE5 thank you for the kind words, It was a pleasure and I'm a man of my word :D I really hope you enjoy the lasers. Glad they made it there safe, I had an "OCD" moment when I packaged them up. I look forward to some future pictures and if you can get more info on your new spartan. That would be rad if it was one of the freak Spartans. I'm already missing my lasers :cryyy: so maybe Ill be back sooner than later.

Thank you everyone for your interests! Happy Lasing and Happy 4th!!

Thanks, Atlas. I think it is not difficult to get lasers, it just costs a lot of money. Than it is about trying, creativity and thinking about that to create some photos. ;)

Eracoy

I hope Ill be able to find another 589nm in the future that is as good or better than the Spartan I have!
Those are some awesome lasers you've got and I really like the size of the 405nm. Is that also 1W?

The 405nm I've measured to about 700mW

Also, my 589 hasn't produced multiple lines for me yet. I've tried a few temperature combinations but only get mode hopping. Congrats on having an even more unusual yellow, and I hope the one sold here is just as cool!

CE5

@Eracoy, I have a few LPF, members that live nearby to me. I'm going to try and get together with them sometime soon. They have been at this for awhile and have way more knowledge than myself at present. I probably wouldn't be able to tell a multi-line from a mode hop at this point :eek: but I'm confident they will be able to put it thru the paces and explain to me for sure what's up. And I will in turn relay that accurate info hopefully here in the near future. Stay tuned.