Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm in ebay special module?

GSS

Anyway would it be possible to put Dtr's 505nm in a cheapie ebay module like this..
500mw 405nm 12V Adjustable Focal Blue-Violet Industrial Engraving Laser Module

Iv'e thought of the issue's of how hard it might be to dismantle because of the glue used.
Not being able to pull the 405 diode out, and the size difference if it's a 3.8mm unit and the 505nm diode pin orientation.
Driver not being capable, "I picked this one because of the lower voltage and 500mah to 600mah which still is to much"
Would the 505nm even run cool enough for continued running.
I know its a long shot but iv'e been laser stagnant lately and wanted a "relatively" safe "labby" style inside laser. There are plenty of cheapie 532's units but even at 50mw to 100mw its still a bit bright to enjoy inside plus I want another WL and preffered the 488nm but those are out....
In my brief search I didn't find any kit minus the diode:undecided:
Any other idea's on how to make a labby style out of this diode?

Last edited:

GSS from the looks of it I've got a guess that says there's a 12mm module in that heatsink, not entirely sure though. If that's the case you could probably just take out the 405nm module that's in there and replace it with the 505nm module you'd get from DTR.

If the diode is one of the case positive ones, that would create a whole lot of problems. You would need a driver that is continuous positive, like the Blitz Linear driver from Survival Lasers. Most of the lab units I've seen don't use the 12 mm modules, but have their own specific one for the different size diodes that are out there. I try to set these diodes under 250 mA as they do tend to run hot.

Last edited:
I'll let you know what's inside once it arrives...
I needed a Labby style 405nm Laser for testing
in the shop. I only have a few low powered
pointers.

Jerry

GSS

I'll let you know what's inside once it arrives...
I needed a Labby style 405nm Laser for testing
in the shop. I only have a few low powered
pointers.

Jerry
That will be nice..
EP, none of the so called "blue prints" show any type of module and like Paul mentioned they seem to have their own press fit disc type modules for specific sizes?:undecided:
Iv'e seen some lower powered 405nm at 300mw and 650nm at 200mw units running lower mah's but again case pin orientation and driver compatibility issue's like Paul mentioned..

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey GSS, How about something like this for an alternative option, (Heavy Duty Heatsink/Laser Diode Housing) from Odic Force, they have 4 or 5 different styles available.
It looks like you could put DTR's 12mm module/driver in the 16.5mm dia. diode mount provided (may need to bore I.D. to 12mm), or you could get a DTR module mounted in one of his 20mm copper modules, and open up the 16.5mm bore to 20mm and have great heatsinking for diode and driver.

It looks like an easy mod, and the prices aren't too bad.

PS - I did notice that they also sell Laser Pen Hosts, they're just the black ones, but look pretty nice!

GSS

Nice find Bowtie:):) It was a DIY kit I was looking for...
Would make it a heck of alot simpler and between Paul's 505's suggestions "hoping he doesn't mind":shhh: and Lifetime providing a heatsink sleeve or what ever module way I might choose it's looks very doable...:beer:
Providing I can figure out how to power both the driver and fan simultaneous:eek:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
They look real similar to the Odic Force housings, but with the free shipping they may end up being the less expensive way to go.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

They look real similar to the Odic Force housings, but with the free shipping they may end up being the less expensive way to go.
Bowtie, I didn't realize at first that they were basicly the same units:eek:, it's just that laserlands gave a few more pics of the unit that threw me off but ordering from Odic Force would probabaly be more of a hassle.

Last edited:
I know this is 10 days late, but
Oh yea, dude. I remember doing one of those! It was one of those "500mw 405nm lab lasers" from techhood that turned out to be 300mw with a 500mw capable driver. Needless to say, I turned the pot and blew the diode so I installed a new 3.8 450 in there, using a new driver cuz the old one blew out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WqMjrRDGk
How you get into it from what I remember is that there's a set screw on the bottom near the platform mounting screws. You can also unscrew the fan to reveal the 12mm cavity that goes straight through the host and I was surprised to find out that they just tuck the wires into there behind the fan without any magic wire-stowing technology. The lens was fit on threads with some really thick grease supposedly for fine adjustments. You can get these as kits for x.x-mm diodes, or I would wager to say that the "500mw" module could just swap the diode out since those 405's are like 6.xV, and so are the 505's. Just be sure to use a dummy load to set the current. Pretty sure I just tapped out the old diode with a hammer and nail.
But yeah, tell us how it goes!

Edit: of course a 3.8 socket won't fit a 5.6.

Last edited:

GSS

Good to know:beer: and thanks for the video:)
Hey Agent I just might ask a few more questions, unless your to hungover:barf:

I received the Module today and only had
time to do a quick power test...
It tops out at 445mW and it is 405nm not
450nm...
I'll try to post some pics when I open it..

Jerry