Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
The link to datasheet for the DPSS is apparently time-coded or location-coded. Nevertheless, here's a link to the 532nm green DPSS, the wavelength swing is apparently small, between 531 - 533nm. https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=5597

So, I would lean towards angle sensitivity of the spectrometer.

Also, as for 495nm wavelength of the upcoming laser diodes, I wonder if it's Cyanogen / Cyanide green color. :thinking:

Last edited:

I think we'll find that out very soon. They ARE listed on sharp's site after all ;)

Looking forward to the results! Gotta find a way to sit back and wait it out. Too much excitement early into the workday

Yep, I found the 495nm Cyanide green (or just simply cyan) laser diode on Sharp website. Seem to be about 55mW, which isn't too bad. As for 505nm Emerald green laser diode, I think they're here to stay.

Last edited:
I think both are here to stay - they also have a 485nm (well the model says 485) upcoming but unlisted. Im speculating they're making 490nm diodes and factory binning between the two.

55mW at the rated current, but other new diodes from sharp can easily double that. We'll probably drive them at 275mA for 90-110mW.

I'd expect so. As for the Sharp 505nm laser diodes being pushed to the limit, it wouldn't be unreasonable to get the 495nm diode to hit the "Burn the matchstick" optical level, as Sharp apparently make surprisingly tough laser diodes, from what I heard. Now, before I get too excited I pass out, I will have to wait for DTR to stock this Cyanide green laser diode so we could have the potential to test it ourselves (DTR's laser shop is like the candy store to me). Thus, I also second the notion to looking forwards to the results.

These diodes are surprisingly tough but equally picky... doesn't take much to kill these, unless your taking about current. Then they don't care.

I'm not sure when DTR will get these but it will only be a matter of time. He'll be pushes these harder than I ask paul to push mine. I'm capping at 300mA (275mA is what most of us will run these at).

Depending on what I get, I'll be selling the spares off... I want the results before I commit to sales though. Last time two died unexpectedly so I don't want to let anyone down. I'm happy if I get a 488 and a 495, which would leave 8 spares, and Paul gets to keep one as a thank you (these are not expensive diodes)... so 7.

Please don't PM me yet for one folks, wait out the results please!

Regarding voltage and current requirement, I got the gist of it in the datasheet on some Gallium Nitride laser diodes. (Single-mode diodes are quite weird in term of Vf - forward voltage - they want up to 6 - 7 Volts maximum. However once you go deeper in the wavelength, Vf starts to increase almost exponentially - I wouldn't be surprised if the germicidal UV-C laser diode wants ~10 Volts or more to light up. From what I have learned from the hand-on experience - having killed so much diodes from junk electronics - it's usually the voltage, not current, that actually do the numbers on the diode, so regulating the current basing on the acceptable range of diode forward voltage is usually the best option.)

It would be nice if we have the access to TO56 packaged Gallium Nitride VCSELs, as they tend to tolerate the abuse better than say Fabry-Perot (edge-emitting) laser diodes - for some reasons they're still hard to manufacture than the regular laser diodes.

Last edited:
Yes, as ZRaffleticket has said, I have the "495nm" diodes in hand and plan to do some testing later today. There are others on the LPF who have these diodes coming too. But, I have them now. :wave:

Alright, take your time. I am looking forward to the spectrum and optical efficiency test on the diode, from threshold current to what's required to get it to lase, even if I have to wait for a while.

Yes, as ZRaffleticket has said, I have the "495nm" diodes in hand and plan to do some testing later today. There are others on the LPF who have these diodes coming too. But, I have them now. :wave:

Wow paul,

that went very fast. Were the diodes beamed to you :) ? Please share your results of at least one diode, so we know of it is a real 495nm one! Mine will arrive in some days and I hate waiting so much.

Singlemode

I'll get to it soon. The information DrMario wants will take longer than today. I have already started setting up to measure a few. Unfortunately, I have other obligations that keep me from doing it right now.

That's why I am willing to be patient. If I got the 495nm handheld laser before paul1598419 even have a chance to post the messy details on those diodes, I will still be interested in knowing the laser diode a bit better, since he has the equipment to measure the wavelengths and the likes.

And, I am about to get my grubby hands on the Sharp 505nm and Osram 1.6 Watts 450nm laser diodes (probably in a week), still have to wait a bit as I have a hunch that DTR is trying to fulifill the post-Christmas orders.

Last edited:
I hope we can get some of these 473/477nm laser diodes in stock again as i only got one diode i am running mine in a 20mm copper heatsink with a nano driver at 350ma the color looks so good.

Last edited:
I hope we can get some of these 473/477nm laser diodes in stock again as i only got one diode i am running mine in a 20mm copper heatsink with a nano driver at 350ma the color looks so good.

I want to see some beam shots. I love that color and have one myself, but it is driven at 275 mA. Photos! Photos! Photos! :yh:

WOW THIS CANT BE SERIOUS, ~500 nm for $35?? I know I've been away for a while but sweet jesus I thought I'd never see the day where we can have affordable 500 nm lasers. I remember thinking about making a dpss 500 nm or 762nm for ~$2k haha and I figured I check out ol' DTRs laser shop and I cant believe my eyes. I just bought one from DTR

WOW THIS CANT BE SERIOUS, ~500 nm for $35?? I know I've been away for a while but sweet jesus I thought I'd never see the day where we can have affordable 500 nm lasers. I remember thinking about making a dpss 500 nm or 762nm for ~$2k haha and I figured I check out ol' DTRs laser shop and I cant believe my eyes. I just bought one from DTR

~500nm is ok. 495 is where it's at. Look for one of those.