Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm, 520nm 532nm comparison

I received my Sanwu 505nm 50mw laser the other day and took a break from what I was working on to do a comparison between a Dragon Lasers 532nm 100mw Hulk, a Laserbtb HL520nm 100 mw, and my new Sanu 505nm 50mw. I say 50 mw (instead of 30mw) because that is how it is now listed on their website, and it is certainly more than 30mw. In all of the photos the 532 is on top, the 520 in the middle, and the 505 on the bottom. I photographed them under different lighting conditions to try to get the most accurate representation of their colors. Some are just beams shots in the dark, some with a splash of white light illuminating the lasers, one bathed in blue light and one in red to give the green beams a bit of contrast. The ones in colored light really make the beams stand out.
I think the minor differences of the frequencies are apparent in most of these pics.

DSC_2451_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2453_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2454_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2458_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2462_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2463_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

I used this photo to cherry pick the color from the beams using the Photoshop eyedropper feature and made a pretty accurate table of the three colors. I used this photo as a reference because the colors are exposed nicely and the consistent color of all three beams coming out of the lasers, which is where I sampled the colors. I hope this is of some use to anyone thinking about purchasing a 505.

DSC_2461_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

gn comp final by brucemir, on Flickr

Next on the agenda, a ten laser rainbow.....
405, 460, 473, 505, 520, 532, 589, 593.5, 638, & 650nm

IMG_7799 by brucemir, on Flickr

Last edited:

Beautiful beam shots, Brucemir! Does your Sanwu have a default 3-element lens, or did you install an optional G2 or G7? I really look forward to your upcoming laser rainbow. Thanks, and Take Care.

-cd

Great color rendition of those wavelengths, Bruce. Did you have to photo-shop the colors, or is your camera that good at making it easy to see? I have all those wavelengths and more. The 505nm is a Sharp diode as it has a larger beam diameter than the others. But, Sharp diodes have great divergence specs. At least the single mode ones do.

You really need a 495nm one to round that out. :yh:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Great comparison photos of these three wavelengths, Bruce! :beer:
Those two photos with the red and blue background lighting are nice, I really like the blue one.
When looking at both of the red and blue simultaniously, the red backlight makes the 532nm take on a more yellow hue.

I'm also looking forward to your upcoming mega rainbow photos! :yh:

Great, I'd sure like to see 495 next to them someday, if you can :)

Radim

Excelent color comparsion, brucemir. Thanks for sharing. Now I desire not only for Sanwu's RGB laser currently under developement, but also for 505 nm. In adition I feel urge to get more reds in my rainbow. Damn it. I see it as another cash flow out of my account to get some new awesome dildas. Yeah and also 561 nm could fit nicely. :)

Rep+ as soon as I can again.

Thanks everyone!

cyberdoc - I did order (and paid) for the G7 lens. Until I read ultras review I thought it was installed. There was no extra lens in the package I received! I will have to contact Sanu and have them send it to me.

Paul - I never "tweak" the colors in my laser photography. There are many little "tricks" I have learned to keep the beams of different frequencies and powers balanced, bright, and consistent when taking the shot . If I changed anything with the color in these, I would lose all of the integrity of the comparison. I chose that photo because it was perfectly exposed and required no enhancements. I photograph using a Nikon 5200. I purchased that camera three years ago because that was the camera that
Gizmo used for his laser photography, and I always liked the way his photos came out, especially the accuracy of the colors. My wife has worked for Canon for 20 years and I could Canon photo equipment cheap anytime, but prefer the Nikon brand for my uses.

Radim, - I almost had a 561 pointer a few years ago, but the group buy was unsuccessful as the lasers were held at customs and we got our money back.I too will purchase a Sanu RGB when available

Last edited:

Radim

Oh, that's a pitty. Anyway we can always organize some group request for some unique DPSS wavelength to be custom made. I believe this would reduce the cost somehow than there is just one request.

First tip could be Sanwu's RGB dilda with DPSS modules. :whistle:

Thanks, Bruce. I only asked because some other members have photo-shopped the colors in their reviews of these wavelengths to get the color just so. Yeah, I'm sure your Nikon is a great camera and I have no doubt that you have taken the time to learn all the tricks of exposure to get the photos you want. I used to do that with my Minolta SLR back in the 1980s. I am a bit embarrassed to say I have a Canon DSLR now. :D

Minolta are great cameras. I’ve been hoping to begin learning how to do some quality laser photography. Can I get good shots using a Canon T3/1100B? Thanks.

-cd

Hey cyberdoc,
That camera will give you quality shots of photographing lasers. You will need to shoot in the "Manual" mode and experiment with is the combination of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The more you experiment the better you will get.

Hey cyberdoc,
That camera will give you quality shots of photographing lasers. You will need to shoot in the "Manual" mode and experiment with is the combination of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The more you experiment the better you will get.

Thanks so very much for the information, Brucemir. Your amazing photographs have been a great inspiration. Please Take Care.

-cd

Hi, cybordoc. I'm trying to finish up a project in my way of getting back to the controllers. You only need one more post to get the rep you've received up until now. :yh:

Thanks, Paul, for the heads up. It seems like it took a long time, and I’m looking forward to passing along some + Reps. :) Take Care.

-cd