Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505 nm laser diode

reloader45

Hello, I ordered 505 nm diodes from Techhood. Does anyone of you have experience with this wavelength?
I also ordered a new sharp 490 nm Diode, because I killed mine with the wrong Driver. A little turn of the potentiometer of the big Driver gives the Diode approx. 1000 mA for the split of a second. Now I have a very dim blue LED.

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hallo,

I ordered some new Drivers, also some from x-wossee. It was my mistake to drive a low power Diode with an 4500 mA Driver.
Lesson learned! Today I will test, if the Driver is still ok.

best regards

Edgar

Yes,i think driver is NOPROBLEMS
I never use the driver without knowing what current is, you should make yourself a testload or use a XHP70.2 led, it is the led no driver can break,unless you only use baterry
Most x-wossee drivers provide a fixed current, no matter what the input and diode are,So please rest assured to use that way to ensure safety in the next building, good luck

reloader45

Hello,

the Driver was set to 200 mA, with my test load. Every thing was fine, until I decided to increase the current a little bit, with the the laser Diode connected . This was the big mistake. I am sure, some of you know the feeling, when your money is suddenly blown with the wind and you feel like a fool.

with best regards

Edgar

You can get the neutral case 505nm laser (Sharp GH05035A2G) from Dongguan blue universe (Chinese company on Alibaba). It's just $6 each.

reloader45

Hello,

I paid 32 € for two diodes. Thanks for the link. I will check this seller.

best regards

Edgar

I have a lot of experience with both of these Sharp diodes. Many of the 505nm diodes are case positive, which can cause challenges when it comes to building a pointer. DTR had some case neutral ones, but his were on the 510 nm side of these. There are some lower wavelength diodes that are closer to 502nm or 503nm.

reloader45

Hello,

i think my 4500 mA driver is also dead. At a 5 V test load, the current swings between 400 mA and over 1000 mA. Today I got some driver from Odic Force. The 0 to 1600 mA driver has an output between 330 mA and 600 mA! So it is useless for the 488 nm diode.
What driver will work with this diode?
If I don`t find a driver that fits to this diode, i will built a simple linear driver from a LM 317 IC and feed it with two lithium cells.

best regards

Edgar

i used the nano boost driver that DTR has/had in his stock set to 275 mA. I had heard he is out of stock on these, though. Any boost driver that can supply between 200 and 300 mA will work.

reloader45

Hello,

I also tested an 0 to 300 mA Driver from Odic Force. It works well at 5 V test load, but it will not regulate at 5,5 V.

I will see, how this Driver works with the new diodes (on the way from China)

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hello,

today I got my 3* beamexpander with that strange M11,44*0,5 thread.

Is this beam Expander used together with a lense or without?

At the moment, i have no real idea, how to connect this expander with my homemade lasers.
The problem is, that the thread is very short. It will be very difficult to cut a M11*0,5 thread on the lathe.

best regards

Edgar

You use a lens as normal and set the focus to infinity or closer if you want to experiment and use the Sanwu adaptor or you can get Rich ( Lifetime17 ) to make you a threaded heat sink or custom adaptor the width of your host/sink for looks as he had a custom tap made for the 11.4 x 0.5 threads, but the Sanwu stainless steel adaptor is actually plenty strong and works just fine if you want to use it.

Anyway you put the adaptor onto your lens ( G3, G8, 3E, 2E. G2 ) I like the G3 and G8 although for the 490nm diode the 2E works pretty well too ...............put the adaptor onto your lens in place of the thumb adjuster then set your focus to infinity and loosen your heat sink set screw that locks your module in place and push the module into your heat sink until the adaptor bottoms out against the heat sink and tighten your set screw, then attach your beam expander and now you do all your focusing with the beam expander.

Last edited:

reloader45

Hello,

thank you very much for your support. I will built an Adapter M11,5 to 9 mm from brass or stainless steel. My lathe is prepared since days to cut the 0,5 mm thread.
Meanwhile, I noticed, that the sanwu thread is not strange. It is a m11,5*0,5 mm from the Iso 13-3 series. At ebay they sell the cutter for 165 € !!

I will try the beam Expander for my red laser and higher power blue lasers. The sharp 488, that i killed had a very tight beam. I hope the replacement Diode is also fine.

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hello,

I finished my adapter for the beam expander. Without the M11,5*0,5 mm cutter, it was more work than I expected. When I havew to do this again, I would turn the thread down to 11,0 mm and glue it into the M9*0,5 mm adapter.
With the beam expander, my 638 nm Laser looks nice, but the beam of the 520 nm 800 mW laser looks great. What I don´t like is that stepwise look of my laser with this beam expander.

best regards

EdgarIMG_0117.jpg