Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mw green JD laser

Hi all.

I've just bought a supposedly 500mw laser. It looks crappy and came with a crappy 18650 3000ma/h battery and charger. Chinese crap.:(

The laser is quite bright and I guess it's ok for my first laser.

Does anyone here have information on JD lasers? Thats what I could see on the lable.

I'm definitly going to upgrade in the future. Today my laser odyssy began while stumbling on this forum.:yh:

Last edited:

The front lens can ajust by screwing out. The module itself is skew.

I'll do the ir test, but can I tell if a ir filter is fitted by inspecting it up close?

Attachments

• IMG_3145.JPG
    IMG_3145.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 2,558
  • IMG_3146.JPG
    IMG_3146.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,218
  • IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 3,423
  • IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3149.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,101

rhd

If I'm not mistaken, that's just a typical SD302... SD303?

SD30-something I believe.

Ash

The highest (verified) power I have seen those SD-302 lasers in is ~200mW. I didn't see an IR filter on yours (it will look like a small glass square glued onto the laser module, or the inside of the cap).
Of course, without actually measuring it on an LPM (power meter), you can only estimate the power of your laser.
I hope you are using safety glasses.
If the dot is too bright (like the sun) to look at against a white wall, it may be over 100mW. If you can light a match with just the beam (not focused to a pinpoint), it should be over 100mW. :cool:

ok, I can light a match, pop a black baloon and burn black plastic bags. Its actually insanely bright, the beam at is narrowest is super bright and when i widen the beam i can illuminate things up to 800m! I'm actually impressed!

I definitly need glasses for 532nm and the ir. I hope I can find them here in South Africa.

Helios

ok, I can light a match, pop a black baloon and burn black plastic bags. Its actually insanely bright, the beam at is narrowest is super bright and when i widen the beam i can illuminate things up to 800m! I'm actually impressed!

I definitly need glasses for 532nm and the ir. I hope I can find them here in South Africa.

Glasses are a MUST if it can indeed burn. In the mean time until you get glasses I would suggest not using your laser indoors because it really is not safe.

Helios

Order a few pairs because others will always want to watch when you use it.

Please observe common sense whenever you do use it. We have recently seen a lot of idiotic behavior like pointing at airplanes. This leads to major legal prosecution.